The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
My name is Chris. I'm new to the forum and Lotus community. I recently acquired 05 Lotus from friend of mine. It has been great car without any issues until few weeks ago.

One morning after big rain storm, I had trouble starting the car in the chilly CA morning (Chilly meaning like 50 degrees:D). I can hear the fuel prime and starter cranking over the engine ,but can't quite get the car the car to start. I figure it's a weak battery issue, So hooked up the power pack and the car started right up.

Next day, I went and got new battery ,but same problem next morning. This time it fail to start even with the assist of power pack. I was able to start the car by bump start. Once the car has started and some what warmed up, I can shut the car and re-start the car normal without any assistance from power pack.

I replace the starter just in-case even though old starter cranks over the engine fine. Obviously it wasn't the starter issue.

The Problem is gradually getting worse. Before, I wasn't able to start the car only if it was parked for over night. But now, Even if it's parked for 3-4 hrs, it refuse to start. THE ONLY WAY to start the car is by bump start and it starts and runs fine every time.
I have no CEL, and once car is started, engine runs smoothly like normal.

I'm no professional mechanic ,but I've worked on numerous cars and think of myself of pretty decent with them ,but I've never seen this type of problem before.

Only thing I can think of at this point is that the problems is something to do with Elise's notorious immobilizer or some kind of wiring related issue. I have parked the car and going to get to bottom of this strange issue ,but any suggestion or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Since the starter kicks over, and you hear the pump, it doesn't sound immobilizer-related. Does the car have a tune? Easy way to tell is if the cam change-over occurs at less than 6,000rpm or isn't extremely noticeable. This sounds like a bad cold start to me.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Oh yeah, and bumpstarting is notorious for blowing fuses and blown fuses can also lead to weird problems. Make sure all the fuses in the two engine bay blocks are okay.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Oh yeah, and bumpstarting is notorious for blowing fuses and blown fuses can also lead to weird problems. Make sure all the fuses in the two engine bay blocks are okay.

I learned the hard way LOL. My motorcycle had an electrical issue and I literally torn down half the bike only to realize that it was a fuse.:facepalm

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since the starter kicks over, and you hear the pump, it doesn't sound immobilizer-related. Does the car have a tune? Easy way to tell is if the cam change-over occurs at less than 6,000rpm or isn't extremely noticeable. This sounds like a bad cold start to me.
Yeah, I can definitely hear the fuel prime every time.
It's not a Battery issue either... I'm thinking there is no spark when car is not starting. However, It bump starts every time! Does that make sense?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check all the Fuses already. I have to bump start it all the time if the car is parked for a while. However, if car was driven and parked for little while, It starts up normally.

So, I'm thinking issue occurs when engine is completely cool down.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I learned the hard way LOL. My motorcycle had an electrical issue and I literally torn down half the bike only to realize that it was a fuse.:facepalm
I did too on my Miata. It had standalone ECU and and two wires in main harness were rubbing each other from vibration and causing it to short out.

I'm gunna have to go through all of the wires on the Lotus just incase...

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Yeah, I can definitely hear the fuel prime every time.
It's not a Battery issue either... I'm thinking there is no spark when car is not starting. However, It bump starts every time! Does that make sense?
That's why I think it is a cold-start calibration issue IF you have custom tune. I'm not sure what your understanding is, but the ECU will use engine temperature to modify how it handles fueling requirements. At low temperatures, it will run richer during cranking. Also at lower temperatures, fuel does not evaporate as quickly so that changes how the wall film (the puddle of fuel in the air intake tracts) behaves. This is all taken into account for different temps, and if done correctly leads to a well-behaved engine at all temperatures. However, if the car has a tune, then these parameters can easily get changed and thrown off. A bump start spins the motor faster and for a longer duration, so it is easily to light off that way.

That's one theory, but it heavily depends on having a tune and having a bad tune for 50F.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see.. I believe ECU I have is completely stock. Car originally had a super charger with tuned ECU ,but Super charger was removed and ECU was replaced with stock one from 05. I'll confirm it one more time with my friend. Thank you for all you replies!

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Have you tried starting lately, especially if ambient temp was higher?

And for thoroughness, how exactly did you check the fuses? The only good way to do it is with the fuse removed check the resistance across its terminals. Eyeballing it is not 100%, and probing it while still in the fuse block is a common error.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have a cold start problem me either since july 2016.
I always drive my car once in a while since 2007 it only have 8K miles.
Never had cold start problem before with both eom tune and vision fonction custom tune since 2011.
Now once the car is heated, it start and goes just fine like before.

But cold start is getting harder and harder from time to time.

Take longer time to fire up when cranking and when it starts, engine idle goes weird for 5 to 10 seconds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts