The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,377 Posts
I’d imagine that will be a hard car to sell. Not street legal and does not have the track equipment.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I'm not certain the California title guarantees street legality. All vehicles are titled, UTV's ATV's and Motocross bikes too. Doesn't make them Street Legal.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
The ad clearly states "IT"S IS NOT CALIFORNIA STREET LEGAL"
Well, it states that it's because of emissions. Which is a used car salesmen way of saying the truth but letting you think it's still street legal outside of CA. There are a lot of vehicles that are legal in 49 states, and not CA. This is not one of them.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
The problem here is that legal isn't legal. Yeah, you read that right.

To put a car on the road you need it to be STATE legal, and sometimes you can trick states with lies, or their own stupidity. Doing this though, you run the risk of being found out for fraud, getting a massive fine, JAIL TIME, and having your car confiscated...at which time you will not receive ANY money for it, and will be BILLED what it cost them to do anything with it.

For the car to truly be legal, meaning they can't fine you, take your car, and deport or destroy it, it would need to be FEDERAL legal. And there is NO S3 Exige that is or can be made Federal legal.

End of story.

·
He's on fire!
3,256 Posts
It isn't legal. This topic has been covered many times. VE post above covers it well.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 17 Exige clearly states on MSO, not for road use. This title does not say that, and would easily be converted to a Florida title, no emissions needed. Title in hand with no restrictions would allow legal Registration.
Like the Ariel Atom. My buddy had one, when he bought it, the owner said he would give him 5 grand to keep the street cert./he didn't. I also have another friend with a U.S. street legal 1988 Ferrari F40. There are importers that get this done. They call it Grey market.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,377 Posts
The '88 might work fine being over 25 years old and that may apply to the S3 Exige once they hit 25 years old as well. The other cars that are imported with less age than that might be able to go through a lot of effort to prove they conform to USA standards. The S3 Exige does not meet those standards. I'm sure if you pushed it with this dealer you'd find it has not gone through the process to meet USA standards to be "legal" or they'd be asking more for it.

Wikipedia has a fairly good section on US imports through the gray market. Grey import vehicle - Wikipedia

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,377 Posts
The F40 was legal way before the 25 year mark.
Ferrari went through the effort to federalize the F40 but I'm not sure that happened on the '88. If your friend had the '88 before it was 25 years old and didn't go through the effort to meet USA specs then it wasn't truly legal, maybe registered but not legal.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
This subject has been covered before and I'm very tempted just to close this now. Instead I'll let this nonsense persist for a bit, just for the entertainment.

San

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only reason I started this, was a friend of mine called the seller directly, and said it was only 1 of 2 S3 Exiges that have no restricted titles. I didn't get the info on where it was imported from, but clearly not a U.S. off road use only one.
Speedo face is in KPH.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
It was mistakenly given a title
If the feds find it they will crush it
They are not looking for it but that is what will happen

does that sound legal to you ?

oh or one guy found a way to beat the system that no one else thought of

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
The only reason I started this, was a friend of mine called the seller directly, and said it was only 1 of 2 S3 Exiges that have no restricted titles. I didn't get the info on where it was imported from, but clearly not a U.S. off road use only one.
Speedo face is in KPH.
If your friend called the seller directly and said the Easter Bunny was real, would that make it so? If the tag on the Easter Bunny was metric, would that make it more legitimate?

Please explain how it is "clearly not a U.S. off road use only one". Nothing about this car "clearly" makes it street legal, despite a friend of yours calling the seller directly (and the seller is telling the truth). Why would the "speedo" face in KPH lend any credibility? Plenty here have changed theirs.

If you're suggesting that there are two magical V6 Exige cars that are street legal for US roads, you have to know how crazy that sounds (or not).

Please try not to take offense.This subject has been beaten to death. We all want a US street legal V6 Exige. This currently isn't an option.

San

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I can care less one way or the other, I doubt my buddy cares as well. He was going to buy it just to bust my nuggets. He would have an S3 on the street, and my S3 was limited to the track. If it was confiscated, he wouldn't lose sleep. His garage has a LaFerrari, F12 TDF, 488 Pista Piloti, Pista Spyder, and more. I'm sure there are plenty of LT members close enough this dealer in CA, that would maybe have enough curiosity to see what it says on the title, and see actually how this was accomplished.

·
He's on fire!
3,256 Posts
Its easy to fool the state. They will title just about anything and just because you have a state registration or a plate doesn't make it legal. Be more interesting to see if the insurance company is fooled, they may be smart enough to see through this. I wouldn't want to be your buddy in the event of an accident in this vehicle. Insurance would deny the claim due to the car not being legal, and may even pursue some insurance fraud. Best of luck with all that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts