The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something like this (built by a forum member) is extremely tempting because I use my car as a 4 wheeled motorcycle anyway.. Has anyone attempted to make this or something similar street legal?

1969 Lotus 61 FF Picture Page

Perhaps registering in Montana like some caterham guys do?

I'd love to hear your thoughts

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have given it a lot of thought. In my opinion, it just isn't safe. The issue is height and visibility. Motorcycles have problems with being hard to see by other motorists, but their biggest advantage is that the rider is upright and therefore sticks up pretty high.

You hear of quite a few Lotus/Miata accidents where a driver of a tall vehicle did not notice the car. Now imagine something with half the footprint and 2/3 the overall height.

I would love to drive on the road with something like a formula car, but I don't see it being worth dying because someone wasn't looking close enough and ran me over.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
i race vintage FF, i have 2 of them...

i would never ever put one on the street. let me rattle off a list.

issues:
those are 13" wheels, and your chin is level with the top of the tire....
earlier cars have no steel frame above your hips
it is impossible for me to harness myself in, i need a crew to do it
car has total loss electrical system, you'd have to put in an alternator to drive it more than an hour at a time
car has a hewland dog box - brilliant on the track - terrible in the paddock, and would suck on the street (it hates anything under 3k rpm)
cars have 1-1/4 - 2" ground clearance, you'd have to raise the car about 2- 3 inches to not get beached... handling would suck, roll centers all wacked.
fuel cell is typically 3-4 gallons - good for about 40 mins

i would drive one in a parade through town... something like that.

but if you want to street modify one it would be extensive, destroy the car (for what it is) and there would be really no reason. this is why the BAC mono is not cheap. its essentially a FC car made street legal and LOTS of re-engineering to make it work on the street.

just get a caterham... so much easier and better

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I have given it a lot of thought. In my opinion, it just isn't safe. The issue is height and visibility. Motorcycles have problems with being hard to see by other motorists, but their biggest advantage is that the rider is upright and therefore sticks up pretty high.

You hear of quite a few Lotus/Miata accidents where a driver of a tall vehicle did not notice the car. Now imagine something with half the footprint and 2/3 the overall height.

I would love to drive on the road with something like a formula car, but I don't see it being worth dying because someone wasn't looking close enough and ran me over.
and you would die - you can't get out of the car easily. and you'd just by laying around on the street with cars running over you like a speed bump.

you could get away with this in something a little more vertical, like a FV.

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
You adapt one of the many midengine locost design to single seat.

·
Registered
572 Posts
You could always pick up a 1/2 scale Superbird.

2:35 is when the guy gets out of it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Also thought about it but with a Formula Vee. Add cycle fenders, lights and a buggy whip or two. But it is just not safe, especially with our idiot taxi drivers and other special cases.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There's always the Ariel Atom. Or there are some similar kit cars that are sort of like street-legal open wheelers. A popular one currently being produced is the Superlite Nemesis. Not too spendy either, looks like you could make one for around $25k.

Or you could just buy a motorcycle for your street-legal fun vehicle and call it good. :)

·
Registered
7,117 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts

I agree. I would live to drive one on the road and I have seen 2 so far. but how can we make it safe? A very tall wip with an orange flag?
Eqwipman

1 - 14 of 14 Posts