1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
its BS that someone who was just out on the street with thier kid was killed because of these type of douchebags.
they could go to the track for this stuff, so there is no excuse.

as far as the police impounding or crushing the cars, that is also really dumb. this type of thinking is why california is such a joke as far as being broke goes.
i say, dont impound or crush these car, when you bust someone racing, take the car, put it for sale state for racing use only attached to the VIN on a NASA or SCCA website, or sell the thing out of state for racing use only, and put the money towards lowering the deficit.

street racers are idiots, and so are the "canyon carvers"; there are tracks for this stuff, and doing this on public roads shows a lack of concern for everyone but yourself.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I feel less intelligent after watching that story

·
Registered
519 Posts
Oh man that was painful to listen to. Are they aware that a brand new Altima or Accord V-6 is faster in a straight line than that Integra Type R?

Im still confused how the intake manifold brings in both more air and exhaust, :)

I hate street racing, but to crush that car is a step too far. Sell it at auction to raise money for charity. Oh wait, that would make too much sense. They would rather make a statement.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
the cars are crushed if they cannot prove they paid for the mods. If the parts are stolen they crush the cars. That's what I remember when I first heard about them crushing cars. I agree that's bullsh*t and should sell the stuff instead. But arguement there is that the owner would buy all the parts back! haha! idiots!

who the f*ck races a jag unles it's that XJ220 or whatever it is.

WTF is the reporter talking about! LOL Does he even know what he is saying? waste of $600k. it's not the car it's people. Don't hurt the poor car, whoop the owners' asses.

explain to me what is "modify the right way?" if i take it to the track i will use same mods.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
its BS that someone who was just out on the street with thier kid was killed because of these type of douchebags.
they could go to the track for this stuff, so there is no excuse.

as far as the police impounding or crushing the cars, that is also really dumb. this type of thinking is why california is such a joke as far as being broke goes.
i say, dont impound or crush these car, when you bust someone racing, take the car, put it for sale state for racing use only attached to the VIN on a NASA or SCCA website, or sell the thing out of state for racing use only, and put the money towards lowering the deficit.

street racers are idiots, and so are the "canyon carvers"; there are tracks for this stuff, and doing this on public roads shows a lack of concern for everyone but yourself.
I agree that "street racers" should be punished, but the ridiculous and dangerous precedent that a vehicle can be impounded because of modifications that the driver can use for street racing (no mention of emissions being the issue here) is mind boggling.

And for the record, MANY more people are killed by driver inattention then are killed by street racing. For that matter, more people are killed by peanuts (in the form of allergies) than are killed by street racers. This whole street racing thing has been blown so far out of proportion that we, as a forum community, have turned into colonial american style witch-hunters screaming "burn them!"

A great example of this is the thread titled something to the effect of "elise living one 1/4 mile at a time" and chotto posted that the drivers should all have their licenses away, without even having ANY of the facts.

The people who own these cars are American citizens who have installed parts on their cars that make them CARB illegal, nothing more!

In 2006 almost 950 violent crimes were commited in Cholo Vista alone! (source Chula Vista Crime Statistics and Crime Data (Chula Vista, CA)). I previous found data that in an entire year, in the ENTIRE USA less than 150 deaths were attributed to street racing. (I will continue to look for the source, it was a US gov page IIRC). MANY more people are killed at the hands of drivers talking on cell phones or texting.

Lets keep things in perspective and call this what it is: The state of California using hard earned taxpayer dollars to control their population, and take from their citizens what they want, and do it all under the guise of public safety.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that electronic gizmo that turns it on/off from a normal car to a street racer is an Apexi VTEC Controller

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
MANY more people are killed at the hands of drivers talking on cell phones or texting.
these people should be charged with aggravated assualt with a deadly weapon, or manslaugter just like DUI offenders can get, if there are laws in effect that prohibit this behavior.
I always tell my family and friends that i am much safer on the racetrack than i am driving to the event.

I get really irritated when people are just not paying attention to the fact that they are in control of a large, heavy moving object than can do some serious damage to others.

I did not watch the video, but if they are busting poeple for just having mods done to the car, thats lame(unless the mods are illegal), to be busted for street racing and be punished for it, you must actually be doing it/have done it and can be proven.

if they are busting people just for having the mods done, and charging them with street racing, to me, it the same as charging someone with murder, just because they own a gun. thats not they way the system works.

california is run by some real jackasses, that are voted in by what i would only guess to be a majority of jackasses.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I think that electronic gizmo that turns it on/off from a normal car to a street racer is an Apexi VTEC Controller
WOW! I didn't know it was so easy to make a race car! Someone should tell those idiots at F1 to stop wasting all that money! :rolleyes: :thwack: for Californian politicians.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
these people should be charged with aggravated assualt with a deadly weapon, or manslaugter just like DUI offenders can get, if there are laws in effect that prohibit this behavior.
I always tell my family and friends that i am much safer on the racetrack than i am driving to the event.

I get really irritated when people are just not paying attention to the fact that they are in control of a large, heavy moving object than can do some serious damage to others.

I did not watch the video, but if they are busting poeple for just having mods done to the car, thats lame(unless the mods are illegal), to be busted for street racing and be punished for it, you must actually be doing it/have done it and can be proven.

if they are busting people just for having the mods done, and charging them with street racing, to me, it the same as charging someone with murder, just because they own a gun. thats not they way the system works.

california is run by some real jackasses, that are voted in by what i would only guess to be a majority of jackasses.
I completely agree with you, esp the part about charging "street racers" with assault with a deadly weapon if they injure someone.

If you watch the video, you'll see what had me so peeved.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I find it sort of odd that DUIs don't result in a crushed car, although drunk drivers kill vastly more people every year. I hate street racing as much as anyone, but *most* people street racing do it at 1 am on a deserted road.

The last local drag strip (Carlsbad) I know of was shut down several years ago...there's Qualcomm occasionally but that's an 1/8 mile. The closest road couse is buttonwillow and that's a good...4 1/2 hour drive?

They should invest that money into a decent track for the guys to drive on so they can actually use the excuse "take it to the track". Then again, I think anyone with even a bit of common sense sees this as revenue generation rather than safety related (e.g. DUI checkpoints). Last I checked, a ticket for a decat was in the neighborhood of $1500.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
....In 2006 almost 950 violent crimes were commited in Cholo Vista alone! (source Chula Vista Crime Statistics and Crime Data (Chula Vista, CA)). I previous found data that in an entire year, in the ENTIRE USA less than 150 deaths were attributed to street racing. (I will continue to look for the source, it was a US gov page IIRC). MANY more people are killed at the hands of drivers talking on cell phones or texting.
this isn't the source I was looking for, but it approximates what I recalled. It states that 1998-2001 there were a TOTAL of 399 fatalities involving street racing. That is less than 100 deaths per year.

The fast and the fatal: street racing fatal crashes in the United States -- Knight et al. 10 (1): 53 -- Injury Prevention

"Food allergic reactions kill 150-200 per year" CNN.com - Peanut allergy can be deadly - May 18, 2005

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Calif. woman gets 6 years for fatal texting crash
Calif. woman gets 6 years for fatal texting crash - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
this isn't the source I was looking for, but it approximates what I recalled. It states that 1998-2001 there were a TOTAL of 399 fatalities involving street racing. That is less than 100 deaths per year.

The fast and the fatal: street racing fatal crashes in the United States -- Knight et al. 10 (1): 53 -- Injury Prevention

"Food allergic reactions kill 150-200 per year" CNN.com - Peanut allergy can be deadly - May 18, 2005
More people accidentally strangle themselves to death in bed. (327 per year)
I'm still trying to figure out the logistics of that.

Most Common Causes of Death Due to Injury in the US

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Note, busting cars for "illegal" mods is a very lucrative business for the police. I'm sure the state of CA would like to see a nice return on there $600K investment...

·
Registered
5,709 Posts

And how many people were injured?

Just because there are not a lot of deaths from it doesn't make it right and doesn't mean they shouldn't try and stop something that is completely stupid and preventable

Lets keep things in perspective and call this what it is: The state of California using hard earned taxpayer dollars to control their population, and take from their citizens what they want, and do it all under the guise of public safety.

Yes, lets keep things in perspective, despite what you think all the way from Texas, impounding/crushing cars is not some epidemic that happens all the time here, most of the time people only get a ticket. When it does happen, there is usually more to the story than you read on the internet

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
So I watched the video. The reporter sounded like he was trying to make more of it than there was. Typical journalist, cares more about the ratings than the truth.

But big kudos to the Police Chief. It was encouraging to hear his perspective which was much more realistic. He likes cars, says car mods are ok, need to be done legally, and then take it to the track. Didn't sounds like a witch hunt to me, in fact sounds like he just wants to make his streets safer.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
So I watched the video. The reporter sounded like he was trying to make more of it than there was. Typical journalist, cares more about the ratings than the truth.

But big kudos to the Police Chief. It was encouraging to hear his perspective which was much more realistic. He likes cars, says car mods are ok, need to be done legally, and then take it to the track. Didn't sounds like a witch hunt to me, in fact sounds like he just wants to make his streets safer.
Except it's pretty damn difficult to find a 'track' in San Diego. Autocross? Sure...but an actual track? People don't like the noise around here. We have a much bigger problem with drunk drivers and road rage due to traffic--if we're trying to keep our streets safe. I'd also wager a good 1/3 of the cars on this forum aren't street legal here in CA due to tampering with emissions.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts