The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying find out it if it's illegal for me to handout fliers on the streets of Nashville. I've looked everything I know to in order to figure out if it's ok or not, so that I have some backup if the cops give me any trouble.

Does anyone have any idea?

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
My advice? Seek forgiveness not permission. If you ask around enough someone is sure to tell you no. I highly doubt you'll get arrested for it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found it! I think...

6.04.050 Circulars or handbills—Distribution
permitted when.
Any person residing and doing business in the area of
the metropolitan government may, without being required
to take out a license
, distribute circulars or handbills ad-
vertising the business in which such person is directly en-
gaged. (Prior code § 3-1-5)

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Am I the only one who thought this thread might be referring to soliciting something else? ;)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The whole Nashville Muni Code is online
http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=14214&sid=42

It might be wise to print out the pertinent sections in case somebody tries to hassle you.
Check :up:

Someone help me out with this part of the code:

10.24.030 Handbills--Distribution in public places.
... Nor shall any person hand out or distribute or sell any commercial handbill in any public place. Provided, however, that it is not unlawful on any sidewalk, street, or other public place within the area of metropolitan government for any person to hand out or distribute, without charge to the receiver thereof, any commercial or noncommercial handbill to any person willing to accept it.

So does that mean I can, or can't do it? :confused:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
What is it you are trying to give out or "solicit?"

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Check :up:

Someone help me out with this part of the code:

10.24.030 Handbills--Distribution in public places.
... Nor shall any person hand out or distribute or sell any commercial handbill in any public place. Provided, however, that it is not unlawful on any sidewalk, street, or other public place within the area of metropolitan government for any person to hand out or distribute, without charge to the receiver thereof, any commercial or noncommercial handbill to any person willing to accept it.

So does that mean I can, or can't do it? :confused:
Its jargon, but seems you can hand out handbills to anyone willing to accept them on any sidewalk, street or other public place within the area of metropolitan government provided you don't charge for the handbill. I'd call the city and get clarification, because it is ambiguous. The distinction is commercial vs. noncommercial and whether you are charging for the handbill or not.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts