The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 06 exige with track pack... Set the shocks at 3f and 2 rear as spec for street use...may go softer

Care came with new 888s but also came with second set of wheels with worn Hoosiers

Going to use the 8s as the track tire as I don't tow to the track

So I have a spare set of wheels...

I'd like to get a set of tires that would softer the ride on these here northern streets with ruts and pot holes

But not diminish the driving experience to much

Suggestions?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Probably put some Star Specs on for street driving. But, softer ride means lost grip in the corners!
How much grip is lost?

------
You're assuming we even know where "Here up north" is at.

I question how much the Track-pack is required when traversing pot holes and ruts.
Are the 2 & 3 shock settings from CW or CCW?

etc. etc.

It is not 100% clear that the tires are the problem.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
We keep R888's on our Elise for everyday use.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Up here in Alberta the roads are ruff. I drove my car 1500km on the 888's and by the time I got her home the 5 mil tread I started with was gone and I had to by new tires. I went with a general brand and they work just fine. The 8's dont last long on poor roads. They get eaten pretty quick. I went through 2 sets in 4 years on two different cars before I switched to the generals and they have lasted 7000 km now.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dunlop Durezza HTR ZIII
Hankook RS3
Sumitomo HTR ZIII

+1 on the Direzza. I have 3K miles on mine. Slightly softer ride and as just a street tire they are not bad.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What should tire pressures be with the 888s

Also just checked

The rimes r two diff sizes
One set rim is rolla

Not sure what the second set is

What was stock on a 06 track pack exige

Sorry for the questions

Did not get the car from the original owner

Got it from the widow of second owner ( only put 50 miles on it )... So I have little if no info

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I run R888's at 22/24 but I drive hard and they warm up. 23/25 isn't bad either, just matters road surfaces

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I use Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

On tire-rack there are only 3 street tires for OE sport size. The DWS has the best overall ratings and tied for best dry traction with the General GMax. They also have the highest treadwear tire life.

I ran my first two trackdays and all my street driving on them, and they are great to learn on. Plenty of noise for grip feedback, but since I have never run the yokos or toyos, I may just have no idea the level of grip that better tires provide.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
R888s can be sketchy for everyday driving in colder climates. Our cars are so light, that even highway driving doesn't bring them up to temp. If you just toss it into a corner like this, you might be surprised at the lack of grip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts