The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting LSS and live were it rains. Anyone have an opinion on dry and wet grip for these tires mounted on LSS wheels?

yokohama AO48 195/50-16, 225/45-17
best dry grip of this bunch but I wonder about wet grip

pirelli pzero asymmetrico 195/45-16, 225/45-17:
I think this is the best choice. nice low 140 treadwear and wide front. these probably have more dry grip than the AD07s

yokohama AD07 175/55-16, 225/45-17:
treadwear of 180 is a little high for my taste, probably not as sticky as the pirellis. I don't like the narrow fronts either.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Just a couple notes: 1) Treadwear ratings do not directly translate over different tire manufacturers. I probably wouldn't worry too much about the wear. 2) The AD07's could very well be more sticky than the Pirellis. Some of the new tires on the market, like the Goodyear GSD3 and Michelin PS2, already are.

I'm not sure if the AD07 even fits, but I'm guessing that if you are running them in case of foul weather, you're not going to miss the wider fronts too much. Will you become annoyed by a slight bit more understeer when pushing it? Supposidely, the extra performance of the sport pack is not extractable on the street (I won't tell if you don't). Wheels are easy to swap out, so you can run your A048 on dry weekends or for the track.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll see how I like the AO48s in the rain first. If I'm not satisfied, maybe I'll try the AD07s when I need a new set. If I don't like the understeer of the AD07s I'll try something else after that. I'm sure it will be a year or two from now and I'll probably have more choices by then.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Sounds like you are daily driving the car? The A048 may not be a good idea at all in standing water, so I'm glad you are thinking about this issue early. I have never driven with those tires obviously, but it seems like they won't like cold and standing water. Drive very gingerly in the damp until the tires start showing confidence.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
48's do not like rain, especially if it gets cold (50's) near you. Standing water is the real enemy with these tires.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
This may seem to have very little to nothing to do with rain tires but Lotus is offering winter tires for the standard suspension car but not for the LSS equipped vehicles. There may be a problem finding appropriate tires for the wheels on the LSS.

Just a comment on the situation.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wallabyguy said:
This may seem to have very little to nothing to do with rain tires but Lotus is offering winter tires for the standard suspension car but not for the LSS equipped vehicles. There may be a problem finding appropriate tires for the wheels on the LSS.

Pirelli makes the Winter Snowsport 210 in 195/50-16 and 225/45-17. It is listed on the Pirelli site but not tirerack.

I used the snowsport 240s on another car last winter and they were absolutely amazing in the rain and all types of snow. And they perform like an ultra high performace all-season in the dry.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Actually, I've been trying to find out how much a set of standard wheels would cost for just this reason. I don't want to have to swap tires on my LSS wheels for winter. Also, I don't want to buy some expensive lightweight wheel like the SSR just to mount snow tires on. Anyone here that can help me out?

wallabyguy said:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nathan- I would think you could find a set of used OEM (Euro-spec) Elise wheels pretty easily and inexpensive. I don't think the bolt pattern has changed for the US version. Unless there are suspension issues, I don't know why this wouldn't be a cheap way to get a second set of wheels.

·
Registered
645 Posts
It seams that tire selection is pretty limited in the States. If I get LSS, the extra rims I get will be 15/16. It looks like it will be easier to find performence tires in these sizes, especially R-comps. Racing small cheap cars is pretty popular in Japan. The AD07's are available in 195/50/15 and 225/50/16 here.
I just put AD07's on my 3rd Gen RX-7 and was pretty impressed. I took them out on the best roads I know and even got to drive in the wet. I stayed well within the limits and had a lot of fun even in the rain.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Nathan968 said:
Actually, I've been trying to find out how much a set of standard wheels would cost for just this reason. I don't want to have to swap tires on my LSS wheels for winter. Also, I don't want to buy some expensive lightweight wheel like the SSR just to mount snow tires on. Anyone here that can help me out?
I was looking on Tire Rack and found out that some Miata wheels should fit. Can't remember any specific ones though...

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
DCNSX said:
Nathan- I would think you could find a set of used OEM (Euro-spec) Elise wheels pretty easily and inexpensive. I don't think the bolt pattern has changed for the US version. Unless there are suspension issues, I don't know why this wouldn't be a cheap way to get a second set of wheels.
It is different on the rear if not the front...

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think I've pretty much resigned myself to buying a set of SSRs. Now if only I could find the recommended Pirelli tires in the correct size...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Noone has mentioned it yeat but the Azenis sport would fit the elise 205/55/16 225/45/17. They are cheap and about the grippiest street tire you can get.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Noone has mentioned it yeat but the Azenis sport would fit the elise 205/55/16 225/45/17. They are cheap and about the grippiest street tire you can get.<<<

The fronts you mentioned would be too tall. They are about an inch larger in diameter than the 175/55/16 or 195/50/16 options.

A 205/45/16 should fit, maybe even a 215/40/16. Those sizes are available in some tires but not Azenis. The Azenis 2 coming out in January is supposed to be more rain capable, grippier and come in 28 sizes instead of 6. For the rear of the Elise a 235/40/17, 245/40/17 or 245/35/17 might be doable. The larger ones might be a bit pinched on the Elise if you must stay at the 7.5 wheel width. But this could actually help tires with a square profile as the Elise seems to prefer a rounded profile.

I noticed that you are an STi man....they are very nice....BTW the Elise uses STi rear brake pads on the front, and Dodge Viper rear brake pads on the rear!! Maybe you can save bux trying out pads and only buy some rears for a nominal cost... The pad thicknesses may be different but that is an interesting tidbit. I have some Porterfield R4-S on the way to me... Porterfield told me that they have sold maybe a half dozen sets for the Elise so far.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Stan said:
>>>Noone has mentioned it yeat but the Azenis sport would fit the elise 205/55/16 225/45/17. They are cheap and about the grippiest street tire you can get.<<<

The fronts you mentioned would be too tall. They are about an inch larger in diameter than the 175/55/16 or 195/50/16 options.

A 205/45/16 should fit, maybe even a 215/40/16. Those sizes are available in some tires but not Azenis. The Azenis 2 coming out in January is supposed to be more rain capable, grippier and come in 28 sizes instead of 6. For the rear of the Elise a 235/40/17, 245/40/17 or 245/35/17 might be doable. The larger ones might be a bit pinched on the Elise if you must stay at the 7.5 wheel width. But this could actually help tires with a square profile as the Elise seems to prefer a rounded profile.

I noticed that you are an STi man....they are very nice....BTW the Elise uses STi rear brake pads on the front, and Dodge Viper rear brake pads on the rear!! Maybe you can save bux trying out pads and only buy some rears for a nominal cost... The pad thicknesses may be different but that is an interesting tidbit. I have some Porterfield R4-S on the way to me... Porterfield told me that they have sold maybe a half dozen sets for the Elise so far.

Thats awesome I have a couple sets of unused carbotech bobcats that I've been trying to sell. Maybe I'll keep the rears and only sell the fronts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts