The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Exige S Cup Racer
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys..thinking of swapping tires on my Lotus. I do not track the car and dont drive like I did when I was 25. I know everyone talks about Toyo Proxies, but upon investigation it seems they are really for the track. I live outside Atlanta so its never very cold and just need a all around good street tire. Any ideas would be helpful, Thanks Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
69 Posts
I will second that, although I don't have a lot to compare them to. A new set of Continental Extreme Contact Sports was mounted on my Elise when I bought it, and for street driving, I am quite happy with them. They aren't as sticky as race rubber or even DOT street "autocross" rubber, but they are quite fine for even "spirited" driving.

·
Administrator
7,257 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Elise SC
200 Posts
Based on all of the combinations of (1) summer tires that are decent when it's wet, (2) what would fit on my rims, and (3) what seems to have positive results for other LT members, I went with the ExtremeContact Sports as well. They've been great for my zippy street driving.

·
Less is Better
2,946 Posts
I like the Continentals as well. On my Elise I've been using the BFGoodrich Sport Comp 2. I bought these because I wanted to make sure I was getting the most feel through the steering as possible and these tires have a very stiff sidewall and I really do like them for feel on the street.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Would also chime in that the Contis are great tires. Also Pilot Super Sport 4S or whatever the newest iteration is. May be a little stickier, but still give you good wet performance.

·
Administrator
7,257 Posts
Would also chime in that the Contis are great tires. Also Pilot Super Sport 4S or whatever the newest iteration is. May be a little stickier, but still give you good wet performance.
Not available in Exige sizes

Reactions: ericshelton

·
Registered
102 Posts
Continental Extremecontact DWS06 is what I have on my Elise and I've been very happy with them.

You said you don't get really cold weather there, so the "S" part of the all-seasons doesn't really apply I suppose, but the DW version doesn't come in the same sizes if I remember right.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
717 Posts
Anyone try these Conti tires on the Evora GT? They sound like what I'll be looking for when I replace the Cup2's but the body seems closely fitted to the Cup2's profile so I don't know if just matching the size numbers will insure proper fit.

·
Registered
2005 Nightfall Blue Lotus Elise
36 Posts
My Elise also has the continental extreme contact sport tires... I like them. They are sticky enough for the street and 'spirited' backroad driving. But I have done a few autocross event's with them and they definitely aren't sticky enough for that. But since you said you are only street driving, they provide plenty of confidence and grip on the street.

·
Registered
2005 ForcedFed Lotus Elise
159 Posts
I have really cheap Nankang tires on my Elise. They're EASILY the car's weakest link. The guy I bought the car from in Jan had just got them put on. They only have about 2k miles on them at this point. But I'm heavily leaning towards replacing them after this winter because I do not want to regret losing control because I cheaped out not buying better tires sooner than I needed them. I have Michelin Sport A/S tires on my daily driver GTI. I think they're AWESOME. So much so that the GTI, which is stock minus a tune, handles more confidently than the Elise!

·
Registered
214 Posts
+1 on the Contis. I’m on my third set of DWS06 tires. I drive the car hard on backroads with never an ass-puckering moment. The $500 per set price tag is another nice feature.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Tire Rack now has DWS06 Plus Contis. I have no idea if that is better than DWS06, but for $498 delivered I bought a set. If you think the DWS06 are fine (and why wouldn't they be?), Tire Rack is doing its typical close out price so $442 for the set. These are 195/50 - 16 and 225/45 - 17

·
Registered
2009 Elise SC
200 Posts
I'll also add a positive vote for the DWS06 Plus if you're going all-weather. I have them on my TT (my DD) and they've been great, so far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts