The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I'm curious. Considering the steering is manual is it stressful on the steering rack to turn the wheel while stationary?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,107 Posts
^^^ Travis' advice is spot-on, even with power assisted steering, on ANY car. :cool:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Been telling the wife that for a long time . Not to turn steering while the car is not moving. I just get this crazy look from her like I am making this up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,423 Posts
I haven’t owned a car that broke the steering rack and I’ve had a few high millage cars. I’ve had cars with sloppy steering, but I’m not sure if that was simply wear and tear on the steering rack or elsewhere. I’d try to avoid turning the wheels while stationary, but I’m not sure it will cause any excessive wear.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
It is not so much that it is hard on the steering gear so much as it is on the driver. If you can it is always better to turn while moving but not always possible. Especially if parallel parking. It also makes it easier if the tires are NOT underinflated.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
here are all the parts of the rack.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116113253735518541549/SteeringRack

Inner ball joint uses a small plastic cup with a spring, which eventually does need to be replaced along with the other plastic parts.

Worst part is corrosion due to the grease drying out and moisture getting int there. If you do maintenance, and replace the grease, then it should last longer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts