The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have the delema of possibly wanting to put on 3M stripes at a later time yet still wanting the factory 3m clear guard. Can I put the 3M stripes after already having the clear guard installed?

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eliseowner2b said:
absolutely, paint first. clear paint protection films are not meant to be painted.
Mmm, I must not have been clear. I am not painting the stripes but rather using 3m Vinyl. So it would be Vinyl strips over the 3M stone guard. Does this matter?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,105 Posts
Yes it matters. Don't do it. The strips/stripes will not last. Think of them as paint (even though they are vinyl). You want to protect them in the same manner as your paint.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No, vinyl is not to be thought of as paint, it's to be thought of as vinyl. They might not last, but that doesn't matter. If the vinyl chips, just replace it. I've replaced the nose stripes on my Miata 4 or 5 times over a few years.

I have X-pel's flavor of clearbra installed on the Miata. I just cut it and installed it on the painted part and left the stripes alone. But if I had the car pre-clearbra'd, I would have just stuck the stripes on top. Vinyl sticks to other vinyl just fine, and especially well to 3M's clearbra which is actually clear-coated on top. I would think you'd just be able to remove and reinstall your nose stripes easier in the future.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,105 Posts
FYI: the 3M paint protection film is urethane not vinyl. It has been clear coated with a water-based urethane for additional UV protection. Urethane film is used because it has several properties that make it much more ideal for stone protection. The clear coat actually has slight 'self-healing' properties that allows small damage to disappear.

Vinyl film does not perform well as a stone guard. It is quite thin - not nearly as thick as the urethane - so it cannot withstand the same amount of stone impact. During my tenure at 3M, we would never have recommended applying vinyl film over the clear urethane film.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I have elected to have the 3M film applied at the port. This is a pretty big deal because if I wait and have it done at my work(Porsche/Audi dealer) I can get it done for about 1/3 of the port price. I am convinced that the port job will be far superior to the in house job.. Dust, dirt, bubbles, etc.... The port applied cars that Ihave seen look totaly clear and if the film has a problem the dealer will handle it and not some aftermarket shop....

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shinoo

The Vinyl Stripes would not be used to provide stone guard protection. They are for cosmetic purposes only. The stone guard would be for that purpose. So I don't see why putting the Vinyl stripes over the stone guard would be an issue.

The reason I am considering on doing it this way is because I would like the stone guard to be applied at port. I however also want to add Vinyl stripes to the car. Because of this, this is the order it has to be done in. It also allows me to remove the stripes if I wish to in the future.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,105 Posts
Yes, I understand that the stripe is not the stone protection. I guess I have not been very clear.

I'm assuming you want to keep the stripes long term. If this is the case, you should want to protect it like the paint. No reason to protect the paint on the fascia only to have the stripes in the same area all chipped. Unless you don't mind having to change the stripes several times over the course of your ownership.

There are many good paint protection applicators around the country. You can get the same film applied after you have your stripes put on. Click here to find an applicator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts