The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's fairly rare I work on cars other than Lotus. Thankfully you as a community give me enough work I'm pretty much able to have fun with neat cars full time and every once in a while make some shirts, signs, banners or whatever for friends.

However a neighbor approached me about doing stripes on his new Mustang GT. Sure why not, work is work right. I'll admit I actually like the looks of the car. I've never been much of a Mustang fan except for the first gen and the new ones. I think they did a great job on the retro inspired styling. The owner also has a 64 1/2 as well. Both convertibles. The new one looks truly massive parked by the old one. It looks as if the bumper is level with the trunk of the old one. Every dimension is huge in comparison (except the rear window is smaller on the new one). The tail lights are at least 4 times the size of the old cars. It really is quite bloated in comparison.

So today he leaves it with me and I pull it in to start working on it. Actually has a pretty neat interior and the guages are cool. Neat steering wheel, etc. For a Ford I'm surprised. Again styling wise I think they did a great job. But holy crap is this thing HUGE! Now granted I'm used to daily driving a Lotus which no doubt greatly twists my perspective. My BMW feels big, slow and clumsy when I get in it now as well (and it's a lowered 2 door hatchback 3 series). But you could of convinced me I was in a full size luxury car (size wise), or an SUV, or a school bus. I couldn't get over how just massive it is. It feels crazy tall, and there is a enormous long bulging hood sticking up waay out in front of you. I felt like I was manuvering an Excursion through the driveway.

It's crazy that this is probably the average (American's) view of a sports car. Seems more like a family car to me. Certainly more GT (grand TOURING) car than sports car. He keeps saying he wants me to drive it, which I'll no doubt take him up on (but I really want to drive the 64) and how comfortable a ride it is. That I don't doubt. I think he believes it also handles good as well. (he did say he probably wouldn't be able to keep up with us in the curves. lol. probably) I invited to tag along on our Lotus/Ferrari mountain drive tomorrow. lol.
I'll drive it here in the next couple days then let him run the Lotus through some twisty roads and introduce him to the world of sports cars he probably never knew existed. :shift:

·
Registered
676 Posts
We rented a Mustang Convertible for Napa about a year ago (since logistics of renting an Elise was not working out...) and I wasn't terribly impressed..

The V6 of of a rental of course did not help, but the interior is still distinctively "American".. Meaning, cheap feeling.. Seriously.. why can't any American car company make a decent interior which doesn't feel like a work truck?

Anyway.. other than the lame interior and the horribly underpowered V6 and the automatic transmission which didn't know what gear to be in, the ride was decent enough.. Taking some twisties from St. Helena to Napa was fun enough, but then the roar of the engine and the transmission struggling to find an appropriate gear was irritating to say the least.

Maybe the GT has some upgrades for the interior and of course a V8 should help.. I generally hate automatics because they never really know what your intentions are.. they only do something after the fact..

·
Registered
526 Posts
I rented a Mustang when I drove down to Tennessee to pick up my Elise. Granted it was only a 6 cyl. but it was horrible to drive and very uncomfortable. I also felt like the hood was way too long.

I was worried about how the Elise was going to be on the trip home and it was way better than that Mustang.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
There are two Shelby GT's (non supercharged) that show up to the GGLC autocross. They run slicks, but post better times than most the elises -eek-

They both look like:

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
My little sister bought a loaded up V6 Mustang coupe last month, and I was pretty impressed with it when I drove it. It's no sports car, but for what it is I liked it.

What kind of stripes are you doing to it? Hers has the "Over the Top" stripe kit, which is different from the ones that you generally see. They are a little wider and don't go down to the bumpers, then the corners are rounded. I think that they look better than the usual stripes. She has the rocker panel stripes too, which look great.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Since we're talking stickers here you gotta put one of these on the back:

Speaking of stickers, do you know where I can buy those stickers of the stick figure families that you see on the back of minivans?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The 64.5 mustang drives HORRIBLY! Granted, its's a 45 year old car, but still, quite pathetic.

I think the v6 handed like a barge in high seas, the back end was all over the place, and usually followed the direction change made by the front wheels about a full second late.

I see the steering wheel in the v6 to be more of a tool of "suggestion" rather than an intrument with which to direct the car.

The interior plastic is hard and was uncomfortable against my right leg.

The GT did drive better, but still. The bean counters ruined the car by cheaping it.

Soon Ford will go the way of Packard, AMC and the others. :(

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
But holy crap is this thing HUGE! Now granted I'm used to daily driving a Lotus which no doubt greatly twists my perspective. My BMW feels big, slow and clumsy when I get in it now as well (and it's a lowered 2 door hatchback 3 series). But you could of convinced me I was in a full size luxury car (size wise), or an SUV, or a school bus. I couldn't get over how just massive it is. It feels crazy tall, and there is a enormous long bulging hood sticking up waay out in front of you. I felt like I was manuvering an Excursion through the driveway.
...every week or two i take my turbobeetle out for a drive, and i'm always floored by how utterly leviathan and posh it feels now that i'm accustomed to my elise - somehow a modestly-appointed sporty compact car leaves me with the impression of gliding along in the lap of luxury towering over everything around me...

He keeps saying he wants me to drive it, which I'll no doubt take him up on (but I really want to drive the 64) and how comfortable a ride it is.
...my best friend in high school drove a pair of '67 cougars, one XR-7 and one GT, and they were always an absolute blast to wallow around the boulevards at high speed - most definitely not sports cars by even the most liberal of definitions, but tremendous fun for the unbridled charismatic muscle cruising they offered...

I think the v6 handed like a barge in high seas, the back end was all over the place, and usually followed the direction change made by the front wheels about a full second late.

I see the steering wheel in the v6 to be more of a tool of "suggestion" rather than an intrument with which to direct the car.
++

...it's definitely a nautical experience, but i think there's a certain charm to be found in that...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts