The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing tires at an event the other day, I stripped one of the wheel bolts. I got the bolt in to get the street wheel back on to get the car home, but I don't expect it's going to survive any more wheel changes. What do I need to do to get this fixed?

Thanks

·
Registered
313 Posts
stripped wheel bolt

you may need a new hub,but,astoundingly,they are not that pricey--about $300.00. I would suggest that you change to studs and lugnuts(wheel nuts).
Make things much easier. Sold by BWR or Tire Rack,just makes tire changes quicker and easier. Lotus recommends replacing wheelbolts once in a while if you do a lot of track days. Also,invest in a torque wrench and don't,as a rule of thumb,use impact gun to mount or dismount wheels

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
If there's enough metal around the bolt hole, a heli-coil might work.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you may need a new hub,but,astoundingly,they are not that pricey--about $300.00. I would suggest that you change to studs and lugnuts(wheel nuts).
Make things much easier. Sold by BWR or Tire Rack,just makes tire changes quicker and easier. Lotus recommends replacing wheelbolts once in a while if you do a lot of track days. Also,invest in a torque wrench and don't,as a rule of thumb,use impact gun to mount or dismount wheels
I was afraid that was going to be my answer. I do need to get a set of the BWR studs after I get this fixed. It will definitely make life easier, especially with having to put the spacers on and having to get everything lined up (which is pretty much how I got things misaligned and stripped the bolt in the first place).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts