The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any ideas? Mostly cooked on bugs and road tar. The simple things aren't working. I've been through the older threads but there doesn't seem to be anything that works exceptionally well. Running out of airspeed, altitude and ideas.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5208&

A product named plexus is mentioned but it is only sold in cases online and I am not able to find it in the chain auto part stores.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
the one time i cleaned my car, i used rain-x bug and tar remover... it took a couple of passes and i let the stuff sit for just short while before scrubbing. car was covered in smeared rubber, bugs, dirt and bird droppings.

i doubt it's the best stuff in the world, but it worked reasonably well.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Gasoline or brake fluid will take it off and then you can get your car resprayed a real color -poke-.

J/K.

I've had success in the past with allowing carwash soap sit and soak into dead bugs and parts. Keep it moist with a gentle misting occaisonally while soaking so the soap doesn't dry out. Then they just wipe off. As far as road tar and rubber, I've only had luck picking off the main chunks and then washing the car as usual with most of the tar and rubber remaining.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have had some nasty stains on my starshield from bugs/trees/tar. I was able to remove the debris with typical carwashing weaponry but the stains just would not go away with any of the chemicals in my arsenal. Some of these stains look kinda nasty on a white car. Luckily the stains seem to fade with time and exposure to sunlight. Either that or it is just harder to see the stains now that the starshield is getting yellowish. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I tried everything I had, then I used Griots Speed Shine and it came right off. ??? Speed Shine works with the wax on the car to clean it, so perhaps that's why it worked so well. I don't know but I always clean the tough areas with speed shine before I wash.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I tried fresh urine, but that only seemed to expedite the yellowing of the starshield. :shrug: At this point, any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I had good luck with Novus plastic polish. When my front clam was replaced whoever the body shop used put a cheap PPF film on it. They clearly used a non-topcoated film as it hazes easy now and I HAVE to polish it. Bugs and tar stains will also stick to a non-topcoated film. One of those things- you find out later on why it's cheaper. I just haven't got around to taking it off and replacing with one of my own coated PPF kits yet.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I clay bar/polish/wax my star shield. Now I only clay it if there is a stain in that area, not the whole thing. My SS is holding up great and it's 2 years old now. My attitude is the SS is a disposable item too - at least on the rocker panels.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e3N_skYSGoY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e3N_skYSGoY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts