The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night when I got home and parked I went to pull the ebrake and I heard a small noise as it was going up. So I pressed the button and tried releasing the brake and it wouldn't go back down. Then I tried pulling it up another notch before letting it go back down and that didn't work either. It would only go up so now my brake handle is as far up as it goes. :crazyeyes

I found the piece that fell out which I assume was the noise I heard. I don't know what the hell to do. I tried using a hammer and hitting it and that didn't fix anything. The piece that fell out can't go back in unless (I'm assuming) the brake is all the way down. What else can I try?

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Call the dealer and find which is the least expensive brake cable section to cut and release the parking brake.

Alternatively, unscrew a bolt holding the parking brake lever arm from the caliper and wiggle the arm off, which should release the pulling on the cable. The arm has a torx-shaped mounting hole.

If you unscrew the bolt, take a look at the caliper to see which side of the car allows you to retighten the bolt and have the arm rest against the caliper body near where the cable sheath comes through the casting. One side will not - you would be tightening the bolt away from the caliper. There are smaller parts inside the caliper to enact the parking brake self-adjusting feature which cannot hold back the torque of tightening this bolt. I would be more helpful as to which side, except that I am familiar with Vipers (that have these calipers) and believe that on the Elise the calipers are "upside down" on the other side.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both of those sound too tough for me right now. If I cut the cable are my brakes gonna be affected at all? And when it snaps is it gonna fling around and slice stuff because it's under tension?

·
Registered
780 Posts
take undertray off and loosen the cable then see if you can pull the ratchet part outwards so that its on the teeth. You will prob. need a new partt hat fell out

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Looks like the rivet pivot. I doubt you will be able to get the ratchet to release and the handle to stay in position without getting the cable tension released first. As for replacing the rivet, that may be difficult without removing the handle assembly. I have not seen this happen in one of these before so I do not have any experience fixing this. Your best bet may be to get the parking brake cable released and taking it to a dealer. Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Both of those sound too tough for me right now. If I cut the cable are my brakes gonna be affected at all? And when it snaps is it gonna fling around and slice stuff because it's under tension?
Cutting the cable will not affect the hydraulic brake action at all.

When cutting, it will snap. You can stuff rags around the cable where you cut it so that it will only pull back rather than whip around. The distance the cut end will travel is only an inch or two; you can estimate this by looking at the brake lever arm on the caliper- it can only rotate a small amount. The cable will also unstretch.

I like the screwdriver unhooking the ratchet idea. You might have to pull up on the handle once again to be able to get the teeth disengaged.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Cutting the cable will not affect the hydraulic brake action at all.

When cutting, it will snap. You can stuff rags around the cable where you cut it so that it will only pull back rather than whip around. The distance the cut end will travel is only an inch or two; you can estimate this by looking at the brake lever arm on the caliper- it can only rotate a small amount. The cable will also unstretch.

I like the screwdriver unhooking the ratchet idea. You might have to pull up on the handle once again to be able to get the teeth disengaged.
Always try least invasive procedure first.

If you cannot dislodge the ratcheting mechanism lock via screwdriver, then take off bottom panels, and find where two sections of brake cable meet...there should be adjustment there (which will allow you to take them apart.) release tension. then you should be able to remove the E brake assembly, and take a look @ it in a more open environment.

Based on that lotus garage diagram, you may be able to remove the bolt from either end of the first cable (either @ the brake lever, or at the u shaped distribution part.

I would avoid cutting anything. If a hacksaw is the answer then you're asking the wrong question.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
remover undertray, loosen e-brake tension adjuster, that should allow you to pull the e-brake mechanism from the car. Looks like the rivet is probably for an internal pivot point and you may be able to replace the rivet with a through bolt pur it back in and have it tack welded. Don't cut anythign or you will be buying still more parts.

it will take some time, but should be fixable inexpensively if the rivet will tack weld in place

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
remover undertray, loosen e-brake tension adjuster, that should allow you to pull the e-brake mechanism from the car. Looks like the rivet is probably for an internal pivot point and you may be able to replace the rivet with a through bolt pur it back in and have it tack welded. Don't cut anythign or you will be buying still more parts.

it will take some time, but should be fixable inexpensively if the rivet will tack weld in place
+1

Here's what you need to loosen:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Whatever method you choose, make sure you block the wheels with wheel chokes so the car won't go rolling backward :panic:.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I'm gonna try this out when I get home tonight. I'll get under there and loosen that "parking brake cable adjuster" nut that I see in that most recent picture. Now what about the rivet that came off? Can I just throw a nut & bolt in there in the mean time? I don't weld.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I fixed it with the help of my neighbor. We pulled those two silver bolts on the side so we could lift the handle as well as the thing with the teeth on it. Apparently there was a part that was pinched so were loosened it up with a screwdriver and sprayed some WD40 in there to get them apart from each other. After that we lined up the holes, popped the rivet back in and then put those last 2 bolts on. I had to take the drivers seat out to get to one of the bolts though.

Anyway, I'm gonna end up going to a hardware store and replacing that rivet with a nut & bolt because it feels a bit loose the way it is. I don't want to have to do it all over again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts