The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home from work today and I attempted to shift from 3rd to 4th gear but nothing engaged. The shifter would not engage any gear. It’s just loose and has lots of play in back and forth motion. But no play in side to side motion.

I just want to note that I have the Inokinetic ShiftR installed about 4000 miles ago. I had no issues with this mod until today.

So I drove the whole way home in 3rd and stopped at a couple of traffic lights in 3rd also. I managed to pull into my garage in 3rd, but now how do I get the car out so I can take it to a shop? Also what is the best type of tow truck to transport our cars? Thanks guys.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,462 Posts
Look at the linkage on top of the transmission to see if it simply came unbolted, or if the cable came unbolted from the shifter. That’s an easy fix if the cable didn’t break. If that’s beyond what you want to do yourself I’m guessing you also don’t want to put it into first or reverse by hand from the linkage on the transmission. The tow truck should have a cable to pull you, put on the tow hook and let them know they’ll need to pull you a little before loading. You might also want some extra boards around to help load the car on the truck if you are concerned about clearance.

·
Registered
295 Posts
At the gearbox end, check that the outer casing of the gear shift cable has not pulled out of the hub. If so then it is replacement cable time.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
It sounds like you have lost the C Clip that holds the cable to the bracket on top of the transmission. I've had this come out at the track and it did exactly what you are describing. I fixed it by drilling a hole through the C clip and bracket. Then I used safety wire to secure it. I've also seen this happen to another track car so I would not be surprised if this is your problem. The C clips are only a buck or two from MWR.
Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like you have lost the C Clip that holds the cable to the bracket on top of the transmission. I've had this come out at the track and it did exactly what you are describing. I fixed it by drilling a hole through the C clip and bracket. Then I used safety wire to secure it. I've also seen this happen to another track car so I would not be surprised if this is your problem. The C clips are only a buck or two from MWR.
Later,
Eldon
Stupid question but what’s the best way to access this C clip? From under the car or from above by tilting the rear clam?

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Stupid question but what’s the best way to access this C clip? From under the car or from above by tilting the rear clam?
From above by tilting the clam. I don't think you can get to it from the bottom since it is on top of the trans.
Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look at the linkage on top of the transmission to see if it simply came unbolted, or if the cable came unbolted from the shifter. That’s an easy fix if the cable didn’t break. If that’s beyond what you want to do yourself I’m guessing you also don’t want to put it into first or reverse by hand from the linkage on the transmission. The tow truck should have a cable to pull you, put on the tow hook and let them know they’ll need to pull you a little before loading. You might also want some extra boards around to help load the car on the truck if you are concerned about clearance.
I’m pretty sure my cable didn’t break because I changed to Inokinetic’s cables when I had the ShiftR kit installed.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
899 Posts
If you just want to roll the car into the garage, a properly sized chunk of wood between seat rail and clutch pedal will push the clutch in so that you can roll the car around.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
You should be able to get eyes on the shift cable linkages on top of the gearbox without tilting the clam. Just open the hatch and look down there and see if anything is amiss...

·
Registered
545 Posts
To get it out of garage......use floor jack(s) and roll it out......maybe use wheel dollies once up in the air so you don't roll the jack's wheels. Years ago if some idiot left their car in a bad spot in a parking lot that was going to be used for an Auto-X event......we'd simply lift it using floor jacks and roll their locked car to a different spot.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
I installed the LEtsa without pulling the clam, you can kinda see it, bunch of crap in the way. Maybe move the washer bottle......

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Jesus christ you guys with the floor jacks and clutch and tow trucks.

Reach in with your hand and move the counter weight and change the gear! It's not magic, and there is a ton of room in there. I even want to bet that it is more likely that the failure is that a bolt let loose, but the C clips can certainly fail as well.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Yup as kfennell said.It is easier than finding the fuel cut cutoff reset button!

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jesus christ you guys with the floor jacks and clutch and tow trucks.

Reach in with your hand and move the counter weight and change the gear! It's not magic, and there is a ton of room in there. I even want to bet that it is more likely that the failure is that a bolt let loose, but the C clips can certainly fail as well.
Stupid question but where is this counter weight?

·
Administrator
4,407 Posts

·
Administrator
4,407 Posts
Moving shift lever fore and aft you should see one cable move and when you move side to side the other cable should move

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok guys so I had some time to diagnose. And it is a loose bolt. It is the one circled in red. I have a couple of questions regarding that bolt. First what is the size of the Allen key I will need? Second is there a spacer or washer between that L bracket and whatever it is attached to? Third, is there supposed to be a washer between the bolt and the L bracket?

·
Administrator
4,407 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts