The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ok so I just wanted to update you guys on my situation. I recovered the bolt that came out that was supposed to attach the L bracket to the base. I tried to reattach the bolt but it just would not go in. Troy sent me a new bolt. I tried to screw in the new bolt but it still won’t go in. I compared the two bolts. They are identical in size and threading. The thread size of these bolts are 3/8-16.
So just for experimentation purposes, I tried an M8 bolt that I had lying around and it actually fits. Somehow that base piece was tapped with M8 threading hence the Letsla bolt would not go in. The worst part was the shop who installed it forced the 3/8 bolt in. That’s why it fell out after only 4K miles of use. Now I have to remove that base piece and tap the threading to 3/8-16.
So the shop that installed this is actually a well known Lotus shop in NJ. What would you guys do? Would you confront the shop or just let it be? I’m not looking for any compensation, but I’m really pissed that they forced this wrong sized bolt into such a crucial part. I have wasted a few hours on this mess. Here are the pics of the base piece with the wrong thread size.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This is me tapping it for the right thread size now. Now the bolt fits perfectly.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
I would Helicoil it and be done with it, and forget about the shop that did the work, they are not worth the effort.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts