The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this evening after going for a ride in my Evora I got home and went to get out the car,, the pull handle felt normal but did nothing, It would not release so I wond down the window, reached outside, let myself out, wound up the window and shut the door,, from the outside it opens and closes fine,, its when your inside wantign to exit the car there is a problem,, the force of pull on the inside handle seems the same as it ever been just slight resistance.

I am sure others have had this problem so can any one please shed some light on how to check and fix the issue.

Thank you

·
Registered
941 Posts
Your title had us worried. Thought we were going to have to come over and extract you! :surprise:

Reactions: Lckitty and shakham

·
Registered
341 Posts
hahahaha yes I smiled when I put the title hahaha
hahaha, I was a little worried as well. First thing I thought, "can he not climb out the window!?" :huh:

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I'm glad you were safely extracted. It also happens with the Elise!

I can second that! Just happened to me last Sunday at the cars and coffee. Kinda makes me feel like I own an old Ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
A plastic clip breaks and subsequently traps the driver inside if the window regulator is broken ... which someday it will be because the pulleys on the regulator are also plastic!!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have this problem too, intermittantly. (So probably not broken, but the nut adjustment thing.)

I find if I pull and hold the handle for a second, the door will open, it is just not the immediate thing you want it to be.

(But yeah, I used to let myself out from the outside handle too!)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had this same issue with my 12S. It was the only repeating issue that I ever experienced. At first the doors would sometimes catch, then they would work fine, then they would not work at all. I had the issue after going to the dealer under warranty on three different occasions.

After my third "fix" at the dealer, I pulled into a gas station and the driver door would not open (It had just worked perfectly 2 minutes ago when I entered it at my house). I reached over to the passenger side to open it, and it would not work either. I was pissed. I'm 6'2" and had to climb out the window while at a gas station.

I was on my phone with Lotus customer service and within an hour they had sent a tow truck for my car. I sent a very detailed email to Lotus customer service and received a phone call late, from someone important. I remember being surprised because it was close to 10pm EST. Lotus sent an engineer from somewhere in the US to my local dealer to address the problem. It has been 5 years now without a single hiccup on either door.

The service manager was not very good at telling me what they had done, but said I will never experience the problem again. They did remove the little poppy up lock things on the inside of the door and put caps in the holes, so that was modified.

I wish I had more info for you, but please realize this was a problem when the vehicles was new. In hindsight, it appeared that my dealer (horrible dealer, don't ever use Auto Europe, they are the reason I will not buy another lotus) was not giving this information to Lotus about the doors failing. When I alerted Lotus to this huge safety issue, they jumped right on it. I'm sure the first time there is a crash and a fire, and the driver can't escape because of faulty door handles, there will be a huge recall.

My Evora was in for warranty issues 8 times. 4 of them were for the doors not opening. Now that I think about it, this car has not had a single problem in 4 years except for the sub-woofer amp failing, which as not really Lotus' fault.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
The service manager was not very good at telling me what they had done, but said I will never experience the problem again. They did remove the little poppy up lock things on the inside of the door and put caps in the holes, so that was modified.
Sounds like they replaced your early-style latches with the newer Inteva latches.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I was pissed. I'm 6'2" and had to climb out the window while at a gas station.
Wow, that sounds funny but I guess it was not.

I was once at a gas station and my alarm went off. Since my key FOB battery was low I could not shut it off until I managed to install a new battery. A bright yellow car + a loud siren alarm are not what you want to experience at a gas bar.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Looks like it's finally my car's turn to have this issue. Got in this morning and drove to work, but by the time I got there I couldn't open the driver's door with the inside or outside handles. I can hear the cable flopping around inside the door, so it likely came loose. But it's strange that the outside handle isn't working either. Had to climb over to the passenger side and egress that way.

I tested using the key as well on the driver's door but it too does not allow the door to open. Guessing something in the latch is binding. The bigger issue is how to get the door open to remove the door panel. I remember reading a post about someone in this situation, but I don't remember how it was resolved. I don't think there's sufficient room at the bottom gap to remove the lower screws, and I'd rather not just pry it off the door, so any suggestions are welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
............ Guessing something in the latch is binding. The bigger issue is how to get the door open to remove the door panel. I remember reading a post about someone in this situation, but I don't remember how it was resolved. I don't think there's sufficient room at the bottom gap to remove the lower screws, and I'd rather not just pry it off the door, so any suggestions are welcome.
Unfortunately, if its this post, it involved cutting the a hole in the door panel. But, the latch still wouldn't release. So they had to cut off the latch stud bolts by going through the rear trim panel. It was also mentioned that the dash may be in the way trying to remove the interior door panel with the door closed:

Perhaps the least damage, if necessary, would be to remove the rear side trim panel and cut/grind the latch or striker bolts.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts