The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a trip from San Diego up the CA coast and am nervous about getting stuck in Los Angeles traffic and the possibility of overheating. I'll try to get through it at non-peak times but with LA traffic, anything's possible. Any tips or personal experiences/observations on the subject? Many thanks!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
my elise used to get cranky in LA traffic with the AC running during the summer, but never overheated.

The evora was always just fine :)

Here in FL where it is much more humid and the car cools less efficient, at 93 degrees and 80% humidity, AC on blast, it runs just fine. Big reason I traded up

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just bypass LA totally. On my race weekends up to Sears Point from north San Diego county I would take I-15 to 215 , cut across Hwy138 and hit I-5 just before the Grapevine. The other option is to take the 210 across to I-5. Depending on the time of day, there will be rush hour traffic no matter which route you take going through Riverside or the 210. The two routes are longer but sure as hell beats taking two to three hours just to get through stop and go OC and LA traffic.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I daily commute my car from OC to LA (45m - 1h30m each way) under 85degreee temperature this whole month and have not gotten into any overheat issue. I think you'll be fine.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks....my mind is eased....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Was stuck in 20 mile traffic jam in 100 degree Texas heat and gauge went up but not much over half way. One thing I did was to hang back a bit from car in front during the stop / start SLOW crawl with idea of not getting exhaust heat from car in front plus having some kind of air movement into the engine when moving forward. Not sure if scientifically proven but made me feel better :)

·
Registered
2001 NA Evora, Arctic Silver
21 Posts
No need to worry. Live in Miami area and the only time mine has notched over normal temp is this time of year - ~94F and 88% humidity. At a stop you'll have the fan go a lot for the engine compartment, but that's just ambient temperature in there. Never seen my temp go up to a worryingly high level.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
One of the advantages of having a Toyota engine in the car is that you have a Toyota engine and a radiator size specified by Toyota in the car. Its as reliable as any other Toyota would be.

Or have you ever heard of a Prius overheating? :facepalm :D

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
+1 on avoiding LA traffic altogether if possible. Take it from someone who lives in the thick of this automotive cesspool... is no fun and miss Evora isn't going to like it.

For the first couple of years mine suffered overheating constantly, putting itself in safe-mode which sets your rev limit to 4k.

It's been years since then and I only get it occasionally now. Still quite annoying whenever it happens but I guess there's a good reason for it (i assume safe mode helps prolong the cars reliability).

·
Registered
392 Posts
+1 on avoiding LA traffic altogether if possible. Take it from someone who lives in the thick of this automotive cesspool... For the first couple of years mine suffered overheating constantly, putting itself in safe-mode which sets your rev limit to 4k.

I wonder if the newer production years did anything to improve the evoras cooling. I always see my temp hovering at around 55%, with a rare occasion hitting 60% when sitting in prolonged traffic jam, but never more. Once the line starts moving again it drops back to 50%. And this past whole month has been terrible as far as SoCal weather go.

The idea of hanging back a little to keep out of the front cars exhaust might be helpful too. I think I'll start to do that more.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+1 on avoiding LA traffic altogether if possible. Take it from someone who lives in the thick of this automotive cesspool... is no fun and miss Evora isn't going to like it.

For the first couple of years mine suffered overheating constantly, putting itself in safe-mode which sets your rev limit to 4k.

It's been years since then and I only get it occasionally now. Still quite annoying whenever it happens but I guess there's a good reason for it (i assume safe mode helps prolong the cars reliability).
I'm going to leave at daybreak on Sunday, October 5 so being a Sunday, after summer vacations and early in the morning, I'll hope to avoid too much congestion on 405. Then to the fun stuff on Highway 1!
Coming back from Monterey, I hope to leave there early and zip down the 101 and hope to be to LA around noon on that next Thursday...hopefully before any rush hour silliness. Got it as well planned as I can at this point!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts