The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I just crazy? I'm using an impact wrench capable of doing 800 ft. lb, and using the star lug nut adapter that came with my car (17mm to the star pattern), but I can't get the damn lug nuts to loosen. Only one will come out on the first wheel I tried, front RH. Did some monkey at a garage torque the **** out of my lug nuts and now I have to take it to a garage?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brand new impact, car on the ground. I used my breaker bar again and a new 17mm socket, which was shorter and easier to line up properly. Stomping on the breaker bar *finally* broke the nuts loose! It's insane how tight they were, and only let go with a massive metal creak. The other wheel was at normal tightness.

I think someone at a garage got over-eager at some point.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Is air hose kinked?

Compressors often have 2 pressure dials:

First for overall psi

2nd for output (ensure this is not turned down)

And, as my friend esseye asked, is gun oiled properly???

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
You should be able to break those loose with a regular cheater bar, definitely does not need a 800 lbs/ft impact. Stupid question, are you sure you are turning the lugs the right way??
As mentioned, oil the impact. How big a supply air line do you have. An impact of that size needs a lot of air to work properly.

·
Registered
824 Posts
If it's a brand new impact (pneumatic, air tool) you definitely need to oil it. Without the oil the vanes won't seal, and they are very weak (you'll be stronger with a breaker bar by hand). Oil it up with a good 10-15 drops of oil and try again @90psi.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
There is oil made for this, but I've no idea how it differs from any other oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts