The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may possibly be the most idiotic question on earth but i have been running around all day trying to figure out how to take these stud lugs off. I just bought my 06 elise and it came with no tool kit and apparently the original owner lost the tool kit or something. But are these after market or something or do some people have these. My question is how can i get these off and what tool do I use is it like a special lotus. As you can see in the pictures it looks like a Torx/star shape. Thank you so much for your help and excuse my ignorance.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
First question, and it sounds as though you've checked...are you sure there's no tool kit? It would be located on the side of the batter cover, facing the rear of the car.

Short of that, it is a special tool. From the Lotus service notes:

The wheel bolts used are of a special
design to suit the small diameter fixing tun-
nels in the wheel centres. The bolts have an
M12x1.75 thread, 60° conical seat, and a 10
spline socket head for which a special exten-
sion tool is supplied with the car.
A 17 mm a/f deep socket and 1/2 inch
square drive wrench should be applied to the
extension tool, with a tightening torque of 105
Nm required.

If you're close to a dealer, grab one there. In the meanwhile, if you post your location, there may be a fellow owner willing to help you out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm located in NJ, the reason its such a big deal to me is cause i want to get these front tires balanced cause at 75 the wheel wobbles like no other. And the other reason is cause i work at night and my one front low beam is dead and i wanted to replace it. Anyway i am located in NJ and i was wondering how much this tool costs and if your sure only lotus sells it. Thank you so much

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I'm located in NJ, the reason its such a big deal to me is cause i want to get these front tires balanced cause at 75 the wheel wobbles like no other. And the other reason is cause i work at night and my one front low beam is dead and i wanted to replace it. Anyway i am located in NJ and i was wondering how much this tool costs and if your sure only lotus sells it. Thank you so much
Yes, it's Lotus specific, AFAIK. Check your high beam - the left and right lights are on separate circuits, so it could be a fuse. If you're running the ad07's, you can change the bulb without removing the wheel, by cranking the tire out of the way. I've actually done it with the ao48's, you just need a stubby screwdriver. As far as balancing the wheels, you do need the tool, obviously. Hopefully someone in the NJ area will read this. I think the tool is fairly inexpensive at a Lotus dealer. I suggest you just roll into one tomorrow - they should be able to do the balance as well, if that's what it is.

EDIT TO ADD: You may need another tool to remove one of the wheel nuts, which is a locking nut. Don't remember, I replaced mine long ago with BMW lugs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what!?!??! which one is the locking one they all look the same to me... God willing they are cause that would be a terrible nightmare. And the light thing is great adivice but i have never done it before and knowing im not supposed to touch the bulb and try to wiggle that bulb in is going to be a nightmare in and of itself. Im really sorry for all the questions but is the low beam an H7

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
what!?!??! which one is the locking one they all look the same to me... God willing they are cause that would be a terrible nightmare. And the light thing is great adivice but i have never done it before and knowing im not supposed to touch the bulb and try to wiggle that bulb in is going to be a nightmare in and of itself. Im really sorry for all the questions but is the low beam an H7
I'm not sure which one, if any. Again, It's been two years since I've had to deal with the Lotus wheel nuts:

As far as the light situation, again, look at the fuse first. Wiggling the bulb in has nothing to do with the tire being in the way. You're removing a cover from the wheel well and inserting the bulb from the top of the car. And yes, it's H7. Quite easy to intall.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
The first photo, the one that shows all four bolts, doesn't have one of the coded bolts. So unless one of your wheels has two, the previous owner replaced them with regular bolts or it never had them.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Here is the Lotus part# A117G0036F
Its called an adaptor and I paid $31.50 at the dealership to order it (they just called me today that it was in) so it took about 12 days to get it. Your local dealer might have it on hand if you are lucky.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow you guys really are the most welcoming/amazing/fast response fourm that i have ever had the privilege to be a part of. I am sorry for all the bother but thank you guys each for all your help, i really appreciate it. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks like ill need that part for sure cause it is definitely not a fuse... thanks again. I really wish that the tool kit was in the car/ on the battery cover or floating in the trunk but oh well.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
looks like ill need that part for sure cause it is definitely not a fuse... thanks again. I really wish that the tool kit was in the car/ on the battery cover or floating in the trunk but oh well.

Really, it's super easy to release the light cover without removing the wheels. Once the cover is off, all access is from above.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Really, it's super easy to release the light cover without removing the wheels. Once the cover is off, all access is from above.
Yes, again, easy with the ado7's, fairly easy with the 48's

·
Premium Member
11,717 Posts
Wow you guys really are the most welcoming/amazing/fast response fourm that i have ever had the privilege to be a part of. I am sorry for all the bother but thank you guys each for all your help, i really appreciate it. Thanks guys.
Where are you in NJ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have some after market all season kuhmos, but if i jack the car up and let the tire hang to gain clearance do you think this would be feasible, and what is holding the light cover just those two cati-corner bolts?

·
Premium Member
11,717 Posts
I am in Hunterdon county i work in Flemington and live in Clinton
Pretty close to here. I can show you how to do what you need. PM me.

There are good threads here about jacking and about headlight cover removal. It's not difficult.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I have some after market all season kuhmos, but if i jack the car up and let the tire hang to gain clearance do you think this would be feasible, and what is holding the light cover just those two cati-corner bolts?
I've never needed to jack the car, just turn the wheel to the side you're working on. You need to remove the part of the wheelwell liner that covers the back of the light. Then it's three allen bolts holding the light cover on. From memory, at least.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I've never needed to jack the car, just turn the wheel to the side you're working on. You need to remove the part of the wheelwell liner that covers the back of the light. Then it's three allen bolts holding the light cover on. From memory, at least.
Correct - three allen bolts. DO NOT over tighten when reassembling. Also, make sure the gasket around the light cover is seated properly before tightening.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
And if you jack up the car...PLEASE read the manual first on the subject. Improper jack placement can seriously damage your Lotus!

Oh, and welcome to the family. :D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Here is the Lotus part# A117G0036F
Its called an adaptor and I paid $31.50 at the dealership to order it (they just called me today that it was in) so it took about 12 days to get it. Your local dealer might have it on hand if you are lucky.
I would advise you to not purchase parts from that dealer again. They are grossly inflating parts prices. The part is just $9.40 at lwww.lotusgarage.com (which actually goes through Newport European). I bought one from them (it was in stock at the time), along with a few other items, and the shipping was very reasonable as well.

I also advise having two of these adapaters - one for the car, and one in your garage in case you lose one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts