The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to my first Autocross this weekend. Does anyone have a checklist of stuff they take? This autocross will be at Hollywood Park, LA.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking:

Dringing water
Sun Cream
Pressure Guage
Tire pump (except I don't have one)
Helmet (dont have one)
Snacks (preferably ones that don't melt)
Masking Tape (for cone protection?)
Hat

What am I missing?

Steve

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
My old list I have typed up-

Personal comfort-
Sunglasses (extra pair is good)
Rain gear, umbrella (probably not needed locally)
Hat
Sunscreen
Cooler. Ice. Water. Gatorade. Snacks (if at Hollywood Park, pack a lunch).
Extra shirt
Hand wipes (Gojo packets)
Cell phone
Mechanix style gloves (changing tires)

Car-
Tires, Rims.
Jack, block of wood.
Air Compressor or tank.
Air Gauge
Tools as needed (torque wrench, no 17 socket)
Oil, fluids?

Racing stuff-
Shoes
Helmet
Stickers or numbers
3M Blue Tape for applying paper numbers or whatever.

Misc-
Wallet. Money. Drivers License. SCCA cards.
Camcorder and video stuff
Camera
Trash bag
EZ-UP
Detailing stuff (glass wipes, Calif duster, towels)
Notebook and pen (for notes)
Event paperwork, registration

** National Events Only **
Factory Manuals
SCCA Rulebook
Spares
Beer

·
Registered
538 Posts
Couple more ideas ...

Strike that. Randy already covered what I was adding ... ;)

We also usually stick a few wet washcloths in baggies and stick them in the cooler. Feels great on your face, neck and arms after a few runs.
:D

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Steve W said:
I'm going to my first Autocross this weekend. Does anyone have a checklist of stuff they take? This autocross will be at Hollywood Park, LA.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking:

Dringing water
Sun Cream
Pressure Guage
Tire pump (except I don't have one)
Helmet (dont have one)
Snacks (preferably ones that don't melt)
Masking Tape (for cone protection?)
Hat

What am I missing?

Steve
Bring money for your registration and for fun runs if they happen to offer them.

Make sure you have your driver's license.

Water and sunscreen are important.

The pressure gauge is useless w/out a pump. Someone there will have both for you to borrow anyway.

If you plan on making a habit of autocrosses I would get a helmet. If this is a 'feeler' then you can use a loaner (almost all clubs have them at their events). Using a loaner will immediately inspire you to go out and get your own...

Snacks are fine.

Where do you plan to stick the tape? Going to cover the entire lower half of the car?

The only thing missing is a solution for numbers. The tape is probably not a bad bet. My current numbers are magnetic. That is a bad bet.

My biggest bit of advice is in what not to bring. Try to get the car as emptied out as possible. Make sure everything you do take fits in a duffle bag or something. You've got to put all this stuff somewhere while you run.

But really just go out and have a good time. You're not likely to win your first autocross, but if you go out there hoping to improve you can learn a lot and have a bunch of fun in the process.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This will entirely be a feeler run for me. My main reason for wanting to go is to learn what happens on and past traction limits.

Obviously it's better to do that in an environment where only the cones get hurt.

I visited the autoX in august at the same venue. One of the guys there suggested the masking tape protection... If cone marks come off easily then I won't bother with that.

As saturday is a practice I don't believe I'll need numbers this time round.

Thanks for the advice. I'm really looking forward to it.

Steve

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Often numbers are still required at practices. We do in San Diego.

Bring that 3M blue tape. Works a treat.

Hollywood Park can be a bit bumpy and the surrounding neighborhood is interesting.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
My list is a subset of the one Randy posted. ;)

If you change tires at the event, remember to bring the lugnut tool if you have locking or unusually shaped lugnuts. Also the lugnuts for your second set of wheels, if they require a different type. And from experience I can tell you that the floor jack won't do much good if you forget the handle at home. :eek:

For adding air to the tires, I use one of the cheap compressors from WalMart. It's slow if you need to add a lot of air, but mine has been working fine for over two years, which is much longer than I expected. I have the "luxury model" for $20, the cheaper one is $10.

For bringing all your stuff, and keeping it dry if it rains, a plastic storage box is highly convenient.

Edit, one addition to Randy's list: water spray, if you have tires that overheat.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Water spray is a very good idea. Even a small $10 one from Walmart. We needed it.

I have seen some autocrossers use the storage bags that are used by rafters to keep gear dry. It would work well in fitting I think.

II *really* like the portable rechargeable compressor that costs about $35.00. It is worth it to not use the cig lighter adapter and turn on the car and possibly blow fuses, etc.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
A nice, less expensive alternative to those portable air compressors is a simple foot pump. Pressures in car tires are lower than what those pumps are typically designed for (bike tires, for example) so they work great and don't take long.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Here is the list I pass out at autocross school:
3/4 inch Socket 3/8 and 1/2 Drive
Air Tank
Camera
Cell Phone
Chairs
Cooler
Drinks
Driving Shoes
Ez-Up Tent
Fire Extinguisher
Food
Hat
Helmet
Impact and Socket
Jack
Oil, Brake fluid, Coolant
Numbers or masking tape or white shoe polish
Pay Pal Receipt
Pencil and Pad to make course notes
Race Wheel Lug nuts
Race Wheels
Radios
Sun Block
Sun Glasses
Tarp
Tire Pressure Gauge
Tools
Torque Wrench
Video Camera
Wheel Chocks
Windex and Paper towels

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Not yet mentioned, but most important in my limited experience:

Bring an outgoing, friendly personality. It will get you runs with guys in heats before yours (extremely important, especially for newbies like you and me) and will also get you a lot of friends. Your new friends will have pressure gauges, air compressors, spare helmets, tools and tape, and lots of free advice. And there are a TON of terrific people at autoXs. It should be easy for you, because everyone wants a closer look at the Elise. Let them sit in it, check out the engine and talk to you about it. It wil also get you a coach of your choice on each run, very important.

Next time I will have most everything I need, but I needed a lot of help on Sunday.

Jer

·
Registered
27 Posts
Personally, the one accessory I miss the most should it be fogotten is my big umbrella.

A big oversized umbrella provides shade should you be in sun, and cover should it rain.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Some baby wipes - autocrosses often have primative facilities.
Clean towels
Rags

Work gloves

Lots and lots of water especially in the summer. It gets hot out there.

A digital camera.

P.S. I have no idea how you're going to fit all this in an Elise.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
James A said:
Here is the list I pass out at autocross school:
3/4 inch Socket 3/8 and 1/2 Drive
Air Tank
Camera
Cell Phone
Chairs
Cooler
Drinks
Driving Shoes
Ez-Up Tent
Fire Extinguisher
Food
Hat
Helmet
Impact and Socket
Jack
Oil, Brake fluid, Coolant
Numbers or masking tape or white shoe polish
Pay Pal Receipt
Pencil and Pad to make course notes
Race Wheel Lug nuts
Race Wheels
Radios
Sun Block
Sun Glasses
Tarp
Tire Pressure Gauge
Tools
Torque Wrench
Video Camera
Wheel Chocks
Windex and Paper towels
Holy crap! I'm supposed to fit that lot in the back of the Elise???

:)

Robert, I've been told to be there about 6:45 to get on the waiting list. I'm looking forward to seeing you there and making use of some of your advice.

Steve

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wasn't going to, Just because I know I won't be remotely competitive and I didn't want to mess up the proceedings for the serious drivers, But I could be persuaded otherwise.

Thanks for the help Robert. I'll be there early anyways.

Steve

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Steve, never let that stop you. Everyone has different levels of seriousness and so what? It's about learning and enjoying your car.

If it was up to me, I would let you run before one of those serious people. :) Besides, the serious season is now over as of last week for the really serious.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts