The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been experiencing a stumble on accelleration when I really step into the gas pedal. If I ease it up the RPM its fine, but if I floor it, it seems to stumble. I have been a little lax in my checking the fuel pressure, ignition timing etc this summer though. So I dont have anymore technical description than it stumbles. Any one have a similar issue?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,390 Posts
Suspects are (as you said) fuel pressure, intake/wastegate leaks, timing.

Just helped out a non-LT member who had a stumble because of worn fuel pump relays and sockets. (Fuel pressure)

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
If you are due for a tune-up it *could* be worn spark plugs but a fuel system problem is more likely. You could try a bottle of Techron, it might just be a dirty or leaky injector. Or a vacuum leak.
David Teitelbaum

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
[snip]You could try a bottle of Techron, it might just be a dirty or leaky injector.[snip]
I recall a post somewhere here that cautioned against using fuel injection cleaner with the older Bosch CIS system (Mark's car is an 88 like mine). Something about being detrimental to the rubber/viton seals in the fuel distributor? Viton is suppose to be oil/gas resistant?

I use Techron cleaner in all my Fords since 1991, but not sure if Bosch CIS systems are that sensitive to today's formula.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I recall a post somewhere here that cautioned against using fuel injection cleaner with the older Bosch CIS system (Mark's car is an 88 like mine). Something about being detrimental to the rubber/viton seals in the fuel distributor? Viton is suppose to be oil/gas resistant?

I use Techron cleaner in all my Fords since 1991, but not sure if Bosch CIS systems are that sensitive to today's formula.
We use it in Deloreans and they also have Bosch K-Jet. The thing with any additive is to put it into a full tank of gas and use it all up as quickly as you can. If you don't dilute it into a full tank and/or you let it sit you can do damage to the internals.
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,390 Posts
put it into a full tank of gas and use it all up as quickly as you can.
David Teitelbaum
The Techron directions say to put it into an almost empty tank, but then fill up. I assume, the same day...

^^^ That gives a concentrated shot of cleaner in the fuel system, then it is diluted to a non-invasive amount.

THEN, use it as fast as you can. ("But officer, I was just following the directions on the bottle..." :D )

rotfl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts