The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or do they just totally suck and strip easily? I go slowly and carefully but I've finally stripped one of them that holds my access panel in (above the brake master cylinder). I track my car a lot so I remove that panel every few weeks for brake bleeds. I'll go get a replacement so I guess I'm just b!tching about it - is it just me or do you guys strip them too?

I'm using allen headed sockets with a screw gun - going very slowly with good/solid/straight pressure but eventually they strip. Better tools/process?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I thought they were torx, not allen. There is another name like posix or something. Allen wrench fit, but are the wrong tool.

edit : I think posidrive is the fake phillips.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Is it just me or do they just totally suck and strip easily? I go slowly and carefully but I've finally stripped one of them that holds my access panel in (above the brake master cylinder). I track my car a lot so I remove that panel every few weeks for brake bleeds. I'll go get a replacement so I guess I'm just b!tching about it - is it just me or do you guys strip them too?

I'm using allen headed sockets with a screw gun - going very slowly with good/solid/straight pressure but eventually they strip. Better tools/process?
What ever happened to "Doing it by hand?" Of course the heads strip out if the bolt should be bound up and your trying to break them loose with a 'Screw Gun' Allen heads are prone to strip when you use excess force on the hex head when a bolt is stuck... but you need to know the feel using a 'wrench' to break them loose... common sense. :sheep:

The 'screw gun' isn't going to give you the 'feel' when they are stuck. Ok so how do I get them loose smartass you may ask? Go to your local autoparts store and ask them for a " Hand Impact Driver" and get the bits you need. It's a spring driver used for breaking bolts loose with a hammer hit. It will do wonders breaking bolts loose you wouldn't believe, a little pentrating oil helps.

Robert

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Mine got stripped enough to replace after a couple years, driver's side mostly. Found a few at a local bolt and screw store, in stainless.

I'm sure better fitting tools and care might help, but these tend to wobble about quite a bit making the fit less, consistent. Would not imagine doing it with a rotary tool. A T handled Allen tool is ideal.

These are little bitty screws that aren't subjected to much force, and are sort of spring loaded to place by the flexing fiberglass. Point is, don't need to be much more than finger tight.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What ever happened to "Doing it by hand?" Of course the heads strip out if the bolt should be bound up and your trying to break them loose with a 'Screw Gun' Allen heads are prone to strip when you use excess force on the hex head when a bolt is stuck... but you need to know the feel using a 'wrench' to break them loose... common sense. :sheep:

The 'screw gun' isn't going to give you the 'feel' when they are stuck. Ok so how do I get them loose smartass you may ask? Go to your local autoparts store and ask them for a " Hand Impact Driver" and get the bits you need. It's a spring driver used for breaking bolts loose with a hammer hit. It will do wonders breaking bolts loose you wouldn't believe, a little pentrating oil helps.

Robert
When did I ever say they were frozen or stuck? Using my screw gun has yeilded FAR better results than doing it by hand for one big reason. With the screw gun I can use even/consistent down pressure and ensuring that the bit stays perfectly straight. Using a wrench is actually harder as I can't keep it fully level as I turn it in a circle. As my screw gun is speed variable I can do it very slowly and smoothly - again far better than by hand.

Again never once said they were stuck - and you'd have to be daft to use a hand impact driver on the access panels, I'd not only crack the carbon fiber but more than likely damage the mounting points in the clam. When the strip out (as they do about once or twice a season) I either drill them out or grab the heads with a set of vice grips.

More just ranting about how much I hate allen headed bolts than anything...

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Especially the ones they used to use under the car on the diffuser and access panels.

Unlike the ones on the topside these on bottom actually need to be quite tight.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'll go get a replacement so I guess I'm just b!tching about it - is it just me or do you guys strip them too?
Ross, just a note that the access panel screws on my 2007 Exige were SAE threaded, not metric, despite needing a 4mm allen wrench to fasten. I had expected them to be M5, but they weren't.

This turned out to be important when I lost one on track and the panel started flapping around at 120mph. I replaced mine with button-head Philips screws from a nearby Home Depot.

I go slowly too, using an electric driver with the clutch set on the lowest possible torque setting.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
I thought they were torx, not allen. There is another name like posix or something. Allen wrench fit, but are the wrong tool.

edit : I think posidrive is the fake phillips.
The access cover bolts are allen. Torx are used inside the car (it is not possible to use an allen key in a torx bolt).

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
(it is not possible to use an allen key in a torx bolt).
That's not quite correct. You can actually use an allen wrench/key in a torx bolt. You do run the risk of rounding off the internal tips of the torx but it is possible to do it without damage to the bolt. I've done it many times myself, although only when I have no access to real tools and when necessary...

For example, a 5/32in, 4mm and 4.5mm allen will all fit a T30.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I haven't had my Exige for long enough to comment directly. But I've always had good success with the 'ball end' Craftsman allen wrenches with other cars/projects over the years. That little ball end makes working with good/solid/straight pressure less important.

You can actually use an allen wrench/key in a torx bolt. You do run the risk of rounding off the internal tips of the torx but it is possible to do it without damage to the bolt. I've done it many times myself, although only when I have no access to real tools and when necessary...
That is one of the reasons why they make the security torx bolts with the metal pin in the center...to keep people from doing as you described.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
hi quality t-handle allen is in my car kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts