The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you open the trunk? Its dark in my garage and I can't find it the release Its supposed to be behind the seat right?

manual is in the trunk.. :p

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pics coming, I need to wait until weekend. Still have to register and all that crap.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
trunk? what trunk?
rotfl Actually, it's a British car. That place in the back where you put stuff (trunk on American cars) is the boot on a British car... ;)

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
There's a trunk latch!? LOL I'm on my way to the garage now.
Jessica, there is no trunk latch on your car. That car is an exige, which has a boot latch, the Elise doesn't. Us Elise owners are not worthy.

*Tried sending you aim, but said you don't receive offline messages*

·
Registered
222 Posts
Jessica, there is no trunk latch on your car. That car is an exige, which has a boot latch, the Elise doesn't. Us Elise owners are not worthy.

*Tried sending you aim, but said you don't receive offline messages*
I'm on now. I never think to turn it on.

I just flew down there and dug around for the latch (that I now know isn't there) and guess what?!! I found the little plastic piece that covers the seat belt hardware! It has been driving me crazy that it wasn't there. rotfl

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Jessica, there is no trunk latch on your car. That car is an Exige, which has a boot latch, the Elise doesn't. Us Elise owners are not worthy.
No, us Elise owners needed to be secure. If we had an interior latch release, it could easily be opened by a "stranger" when the car was parked with the top off. The Exige is a hardtop with the top "always" on.

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
No, us Elise owners needed to be secure. If we had an interior latch release, it could easily be opened by a "stranger" when the car was parked with the top off. The Exige is a hardtop with the top "always" on.
Both my Miata and S2000 are open top cars. BOth have trunk releases on the inside of the car. Both cars trunks can be disabled via key from the back, so that when the top is down, you can't use the trunk release from inside the cabin to open the trunk. I guess "Elise owners," are so rich they need their trunks "more secure" than S2000/miata owners. You may say Japanese are smarter than the Brits, but I will say Exige S> Elise, and us lowly Elise owners are not worthy.

:wave:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Both my Miata and S2000 are open top cars. Both have trunk releases on the inside of the car. Both cars trunks can be disabled via key from the back, so that when the top is down, you can't use the trunk release from inside the cabin to open the trunk. I guess "Elise owners," are so rich they need their trunks "more secure" than S2000/Miata owners. You may say Japanese are smarter than the Brits, but I will say Exige S> Elise, and us lowly Elise owners are not worthy.

:wave:
My Miata has a remote trunk release too. It was disable the first weekend I owned the car - nothing like a "lock" on the plastic console lid to keep people from the release lever. You are correct that later cars had a "settable" position in the actual trunk key lock that would disable the remote release (there actually a simple mod that can be done to the earlier cars to provide this feature).

Other cars (I believe the Dino Spyder had this) had the remote release for the boot and gas cap mounted in the door jamb. You had to open the door to access the handles. The benefit of this is that you can park the car with the top off, lock the door with the key, and the remote releases remain secure.

As for Exige S > Elise, you are completely wrong. Open top car >> better than any hard top car. ;)

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
My Miata has a remote trunk release too. It was disable the first weekend I owned the car - nothing like a "lock" on the plastic console lid to keep people from the release lever. You are correct that later cars had a "settable" position in the actual trunk key lock that would disable the remote release (there actually a simple mod that can be done to the earlier cars to provide this feature).

Other cars (I believe the Dino Spyder had this) had the remote release for the boot and gas cap mounted in the door jamb. You had to open the door to access the handles. The benefit of this is that you can park the car with the top off, lock the door with the key, and the remote releases remain secure.

As for Exige S > Elise, you are completely wrong. Open top car >> better than any hard top car. ;)
My Mazdaspeed Miata has the "settable" position in the actual trunk. In my 91 and 93 miatas, I disabled it from the inside like yours.

To me, HT>open top cars.Both my Miatas and S2000 run HT 365 days out of the year, in Southern California weather. If the world was perfect, I would own a Miata coupe, but since we don't get it in the US, I have to live with my self made coupe.

My 91

Mazdaspeed Turbo. In the last pic you can see the Yellow S2000 peeking in the garage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts