The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid Question #1

Does the elise have any sort of trunk either in front or behind the engine? Does anyone have pictures of it.

Stupid Question #2

Does the front clamshell open and what is under it?

Thanks
FZ

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
1.) It has a "boot" (a small storage compartment behind the engine) with very limited space.

2.) The clam does not open, though the two panels behind the vents do (though not easily from what I've heard), and contain the washer fluid and battery as far as I know in the euro model. There will be more under these panels in the US model.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
In terms of space, the rear trunk didn't look all that much smaller than a MKII MR2 (1991-1995). Maybe 75% of that capacity? There also seemed to be a 'fair' amount of storage space behind the seats. Looked like enough for a small bag or jackets.

In other words, plenty of room! :)

·
Registered
971 Posts
And since the passenger seat doesn't move, as long as your passenger doesn't have a extreme inseam, there should be room in front for a small bag. I was no where near touching the front when I was riding shotgun.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Does the car have cruise control?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Don't have to be smart about it , just a simple question. What does point missed mean?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Mainly a difference of perspective from those in the UK and those in the US.

Here, we have a lot of open boring freeways and driving for hundreds of miles at long stretches, mainly going straight, is not uncommon. For those reasons, many drivers of sportscars in the USA will want cruise control (which I am sure could be offered as an aftermarket thing). I know that after driving for 1100 miles straight, doing so without cruise control is painful.

Some may equate wanting cruise control as a luxury item, sort of like wanting DVD navigation and heated leather seats. I think it's not, but a cruise control unit does add weight and that is going against the concept of a very simple and lightweight car, that designed around performance. But then, so it a radio/CD player so there are some compromises that fill a gray area. IMO.

One of the compromises will also be that oft-sneered at cupholder, the symbol of the bloated SUV. As has been discussed here before on other threads, I would like a cupholder. Even if it's symbolic to many of all that is wrong with heavy cars, it's really only a few ounces of plastic that is hidden when you race. And again, on that 1000+ mile drive in one day, I need a place to hold my coffee or water. I would not consider a cupholder as important for driving around town.

I will happily add a couple pounds of crap and meet someone with 100 pounds less on a track and we will see how it stacks up. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
My thoughts as well. I love the elises performance specs, but i won't use it as track car, it will be used more as a cruiser, so if i want cruise control and a cup holder, i doubt i'll get smoked on the road by a pinto because of the extra couple of pounds.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
A cupholder is a must for me. While it's not something I use often, when on road trips I like having a bottle of water handy, or maybe some coffee in the mornings.

As for cruise control...my MR2's cruise control has been broken for ~100k miles so far and I havn't really missed it. :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
It comes with 2 built in cupholders...

Just jam a bottle or can between the seat and the chassis rail.

Works fine! Just don't move the driver's seat back when it's there :D

(oh BTW.. Top tip for getting in/out of the Elise: always slide the driver's seat fully back when getting in and out. Makes it a lot easier and reduces wear on the seat material and mounting rails)

Otherwise I see some practical issues with fitting something like a cup/can holder somewhere in the car where you can actually reach it and it doesn't interfere with the occupants.

Perhaps something bolted/glued to the dash might work, or something attached to the rear bulkhead covering the fuel tank (oh.. don't start drilling there guys! :p )

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Mark said:

cruise control !

Well Mark I don't know many people in the UK that drive 700miles to attend a track event. Sometimes criuse is useful .
OTOH I don't have cruise and don't feel the need even on those boring all day freeway rides.
Randy, regarding the boring roads, you should add that we have some of the best roads in the world to drive too! UT, CO and AZ have the best roads I have ever driven!

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
adamant said:

Randy, regarding the boring roads, you should add that we have some of the best roads in the world to drive too! UT, CO and AZ have the best roads I have ever driven!
True, but normally I am obsessed with the destination, not the journey on a long trip. I calculate my average speed including stops and look for the quickest way to get to point B. Which is a place like Topeka Kansas, 1500 miles away if I go the north route via I-15 to I-70....which for a freeway has some beautiful scenic areas, like eastern Utah and western Colorado. Normally, I drive back the south route just to be different and go thru New Mexico, Arizona and spots along highway 66.

Since I try to drive about 1000-1100 miles in one day, I have to be efficient and speedy.

This coming year, I might have races in New Mexico, Utah, North California and Kansas, which will represent more than 5000 miles of freeway driving, more than I drive otherwise all year.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Randy Chase said:
True, but normally I am obsessed with the destination, not the journey on a long trip. I calculate my average speed including stops and look for the quickest way to get to point B.
Not me! My wife and I did the opposite on a recent road trip to Colorado - we avoided the interstates where possible and took a very meandering route instead.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have driven 1100 miles from one hotel to the next
mostly through Texas (pretty straight)
I did have a 3hour break after the first 250miles for Bondurant (for them to fix a coolant hose).

I have other cars with Cruise Control and at no point during this trip did my foot hurt or I wish I had CC.

As for the cup holders.
Over the 850 miles section I was having to stop every 150-160 miles to fill up. Do you know if your version will get a bigger tank ?
My VHPD prob burns more mpg than yours will. So even with the same size tank you should get further.
Note that our gallon is bigger than yours, for some reason that's lost on me !

Anyway..
These stops gave me ample opportunity to have a drink and stretch my legs.
I have a camel-back water container in the car anyway. This fits into the netting behind the seats.
I wouldn't want coffee or anything sticky in the car for the risk of spillage.
Also before you stuff anything down next to the seats (esp. Chocolate) check where your plumbing runs, it might get hot.

as an aside I never worry about Pintos!
but like to have fun with Ferraris and Porkers (Porsches).

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
In the almost 4 years that I have owned a car with cruise control, I have almost never used it--including when I drove it across country twice. I find that when I'm on cruise, I get bored and fall asleep.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Just to throw in my $.02

I like cruise control and use it all the time on my Miata. I'll probably look into an aftermarket unit for the Elise.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts