The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am getting an elise on march 4 and im very excited. its an 05 and im getting a great deal on it. i love the front bumper on the exige, the elise has the checkerboard molded plastic in the vents where the elise is mesh. i have to paint the car, i was wondering if anyone has cut out the molded plastic and put a mesh in?

sorry im a noob:(

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
.:popcorn:
THIS.........is a bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Congratulations on getting an '05 - got mine new on March 25, 2005 a after nearly 2 year wait. I feel your excitement. Welcome to LotusTalk (ex. EliseTalk) We all get stopmed on asking questions here because there are probably not any new questions any more and they're all buried in the posts somewhere. We can ask again and get beat up on by the Search Nazis :D or spend a buttload of time searching - for me personally, I'd rather take the abuse and ask again IMHO rotfl WELCOME to the Deltas of the car world LOL

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Yes, congratulations and welcome!!
A beautiful sports car , isn't it!:D

I'll enhance what andykeck sez:

YOUR ELISE HAS NO BUMPERS!!!!

If you parallel park, a car in front or back of you will gently TAP your Elise's fragile fiberglass body, cracking your Elise "clam" like an EGG SHELL!!!:eek:
The damage will be ASTRONOMICAL!!! Close to the NATIONAL DEBT!!:crazyeyes
And the REPAIR will last soooo long that you'll forget you even owned the Elise!!! Parking this car is either SUICIDE or DEATH!

Just remember when you park. The word to remember is....NO!!!

--Hal

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys im used to the flaming im on nasioc for subarus, i currently own a 05 wrx well modded, im trading her in on the 05 on march 5th. im so stoked. i just have to decide on what color to paint it. it needs paint, it has been wrecked but im thoroughly having it checked out. hmm flat black? haha. i just like the looks of the exige alot. it has 7000 miles on it and is currently a dark blue. i just want it to pop so the dark blue has to go. im an attention whore

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
thanks guys im used to the flaming im on nasioc for subarus, i currently own a 05 wrx well modded, im trading her in on the 05 on march 5th. im so stoked. i just have to decide on what color to paint it. it needs paint, it has been wrecked but im thoroughly having it checked out. hmm flat black? haha. i just like the looks of the exige alot. it has 7000 miles on it and is currently a dark blue. i just want it to pop so the dark blue has to go. im an attention whore
Who is going to check it out? Have you read some of the accident threads on here?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
it has been wrecked but im thoroughly having it checked out.
Make sure it's checked out by a Lotus dealer AND a highly qualified body shop. Repairing these cars can run up bills VERY quickly.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Who is going to check it out? Have you read some of the accident threads on here?
This is a subtle hint that many (most?) Elises that have been wrecked (usually with a salvage title from the insurance companies) have more extensive damage.

The Aluminum chassis of the Elise is easily damaged and cannot (reasonably) be repaired. The only reasonable repair of the chassis is to replace the chassis (very expensive when you include the labor). Lots of wrecked Elises have been sold as "minor damage", "easy repairs", etc. in fact have damaged chassis.

We all hope that you haven't gotten taken by someone that has misrepresented the car and sold you one with a damaged chassis - usually bent/torn mounting points for the front suspension. The fact that you are trying to figure out how to repair the front is a red flag to check things farther.

Oh yea, the crash structure in the front of the car - the black fiberglass structure inside the grill that supports the radiators, etc. - is also not repairable. It isn't expensive, but it is difficult to remove - it is bonded to the front of the chassis and has to be cut/ground/hacked away and the new one bonded in place. This is a relatively simple task, but is very labor intensive to do the work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts