The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for my stupid question, but it has bugged me for a while.
The doors on my V8 have a rectangular opening on the underside of the base of the door panel.
What is the purpose for it?
After continuously vacuuming up the rectangular dust mark it leaves on the door sill carpet, I covered mine up with tape!
I cannot remember if this opening was on the other Esprits I have owned ('83, '86 and '90)
Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
587 Posts
Does the opening look "finished" or cut in?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,840 Posts
S-Esprits had cabin ventilation through those rectangles. Don't seal them.

Is it possible that someone covered the holes in the upper door during past work (window repair? Speaker installation?) thinking that the vapor barrier should cover them?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely factory cut holes. Just appear pretty pointless. They obviously vent outside air into my door sill carpets, making them really dirty.
I covered the vent holes up to stop the dirt ingress last year.
My doors haven’t filled with water and I haven’t suffocated yet! LOL

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,840 Posts
If you like to ride around with the roof panel raised (rather than removed) the airflow is OPPOSITE the arrows in the documentation that I copied. Perhaps that is a contributor to your dirty carpets

Also you need to keep the HVAC fan ON to create the airflow as pictured even with the roof latched.

"In Theory, there is no difference between Practice and Theory. In Practice, there is." -- Yogi Berra

:rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts