The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the initial start up the car would smoke. Enough to fill my garage with smoke instantly and it's not a small garage. It would continue to smoke for another min and then goes away. Once the car is warm no more smoke even after sitting for a bit.

In short if I took the car to work, it would smoke on start up. At the end of the day no smoke on start up.

Should I be worried? Do I need a rebuild? This has been happening for the past three or four times I've taken the car out. Car does not feel sluggish or slow. Matter of fact it feels faster than it has ever been. Just as I thought I am done with maintenance and any boost issue I have ever had I have another issue. Prior issue just last week was strange boost pressure, turned out to be a bad BOV thanks to my friends GMendoza and E5pr1t who warned me about it. Oil was squirting everywhere on the passenger rear window.:facepalm

Been saving for another toy but it looks like money will go towards a rebuild if I have to. BTW, test drove a 348 TS on Sunday, that thing is a dog compared to the S4. :facepalm

Thoughts?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeah, sounds similar to the issue I was having at the beginning of this year, just a little more pronounced. I did some research on turbo issues, and got some great advice from these forums and traced it back to idling my car to temperature every couple weeks over the winter and then shutting it off without running it in a positive boost range.

By idling it and having a vacuum in the turbo it was drawing oil through the seals and burning it on startup. I would have to think that worn seals would contribute to this. As soon as I stopped idling it up to temp the problem went away.

Even though your scenario is different, your results are similar. I would pull your intake hoses and see if there is any trace of oil downstream from the turbo, it was quite apparent in mine.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, I am already planning on the turbo rebuild and been getting a lot of help from many here especially Mr. Dangerous. Got a bunch of calcs with flow defining volume vs pressure etc on this but I must clarify that the smoke came out of the tail pipe. You guys still think it's the turbo? :shrug:

Gonzo also gave me some good info as well.

If it's the turbo then I just got a free get out of jail pass! :D

·
Registered
902 Posts
Turbo can definitely cause smoke out of the tail pipe. Exhaust side oil seal fails/weeps and oil gets sent through the exhaust piping.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turbo can definitely cause smoke out of the tail pipe. Exhaust side oil seal fails/weeps and oil gets sent through the exhaust piping.
Of course! I was only thinking of the inlet side. Makes sense.

Glad I don't need an engine rebuild although it might come soon in the near future. at 92K miles now...

Thanks all!:up:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think it's the turbo as well. Wouldn't that explain oil pucking out your BOV as well?? Oil in the intake from a seal in the turbo?

One other thing you can do is just look at the exhaust manifold where it attaches to the turbo. Often you will see burnt dried out staining from the initial stages of water/oil leaking from a worn turbo.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it's the turbo as well. Wouldn't that explain oil pucking out your BOV as well?? Oil in the intake from a seal in the turbo?

One other thing you can do is just look at the exhaust manifold where it attaches to the turbo. Often you will see burnt dried out staining from the initial stages of water/oil leaking from a worn turbo.
Thanks all symptoms lead to the turbo. Will pull and send out for rebuild.

You guys are awesome. Back to shopping for another toy! :up:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cheaper than rebuilding --- you need to renew the turbo anyway

if you have a v8, I know a guy who can do it for you and port (reflow) the turbo to T28 instead of the stock T25
Don't have a V8 but thanks.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would get it sorted out before buying a new Toy unless you have the funds to do both.
:up: Rebuild is about $5-600. Engine rebuild would have been $8K. The engine rebuild would have taken a big chunk out of my funds. But back to shopping not buying (yet). :D:D

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
To confirm a leaky turbo pull the output (air side) hose and see if it is oily inside. With 92K miles, if it has never been rebuilt, it is WAY overdue. If there is no hard damage to the housings or impellers a rebuild is about $300 which includes new seals, bearings, shaft, and dynamic balance. Turbo City in CA can also do it. There are ancillary costs like gaskets, hardware to replace broken stuff, a new oil feed hose and you should do an oil change. Since you were eating oil a tune-up would be nice replacing the spark plugs and air filter at least. With this many miles you should also do a compression test and a leak-down test to see how the motor is doing. You may be overdue for a valve adjustment at the very least.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 16 of 16 Posts