The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a harness bar in my car and quite frankly, I don't get a warm and fuzzy from any of the aftermarket options available. I know this is a stupid question and I assume the answer is yes as I've seen others have installed it after-the-fact, but do all of the cars (I have an '06 Exige) have the mounting points built in for the OE Harness? Yes, I realize I will have to replace the rear trim panel and use those wonky speaker tilting panels, but otherwise, does my car have what it takes?

Thanks.

·
Registered
663 Posts
My 05 Elise had the mounting points in the roll bar. I haven't heard of anyone having a problem installing a OE harness bar.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
All you have to do is trim your rear panel, then either use the speaker cups or not put on the covers. You will have to clock the speakers 90 degrees though as you can't get to the original screw holes with the bar in place.

Stock bar will mount just fine on your 06. The old style S111 bar fits too if you can find one.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I figured it was a standard mount since its integrated into the roll bar... doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would part of an upgrade package.

I know that the old style S111 bar will fit, but I've read that it is really only properly located for taller drivers. I'm not tall at all, in fact, I'm not even sure if I'm considered average height!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I figured it was a standard mount since its integrated into the roll bar... doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would part of an upgrade package.

I know that the old style S111 bar will fit, but I've read that it is really only properly located for taller drivers. I'm not tall at all, in fact, I'm not even sure if I'm considered average height!

Well considering both the stock bar and the old s111 bar are designed the same then you will have the height problem with the oem as well. It's a tube that runs horizontal between the two hard mount points.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well considering both the stock bar and the old s111 bar are designed the same then you will have the height problem with the oem as well. It's a tube that runs horizontal between the two hard mount points.
Oh... then I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of the wrong thing. By s111 do you mean a Lotus part or the Fortress Bar that Sector111 discontinued?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Oh... then I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of the wrong thing. By s111 do you mean a Lotus part or the Fortress Bar that Sector111 discontinued?
It's the 4tress bar that is discontinued. The only way you will get a lower bar is one that will hang down from the mounting locations or seatbelt bolts. To my knowledge no one makes a lower bar that uses the roll bar mounts.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's the 4tress bar that is discontinued. The only way you will get a lower bar is one that will hang down from the mounting locations or seatbelt bolts. To my knowledge no one makes a lower bar that uses the roll bar mounts.
I thought the fortress bar mounted to the shoulder belt harness point? That's a good 2"-3" higher than where the OEM mounting points are. I thought that's why it was deemed "too high for short people." I just found this thread that definitely shows the Sector111 bar going in where the standard 3 pt belts mount, not down where the speaker pods are like the OE.:confused:

All the same, I'm still going with the OE bar.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If it mounted with just the three point location there would be no need to remove the rear panel. The bar looks just like mine, but mine mounts to the stock location, I can take a pic if you really like. I've had to do so much work back there I just leave my rear panel out as it's a pain to remove with the bar in there.

Bottom line is yes the bar fits your car with triming the rear panel and either leaving off the speaker grills or getting the cups to put them in. Enjoy.

Edit: I don't have the 4tress bar, it has the anti-rotation bracket which requires removal of the panel. Not sure what I have but it has S111 on it and mounts to stock location. :)

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
S111 had several options for harness bars a few years back.

The "Race harness bar" was essentially the same as the Lotus OEM harness bar. It attaches to the OEM harness bar mount points and requires removal or modification of the rear panel and removal or repositioning of the speakers. It is no longer being produced. This seems to be the bar that LordZ has. I've never seen a used one for sale here on the forum.

The "4tress" was the bar that mounted to the seat belt mounting point and had an anti-rotation bracket that required removal of the rear panel to install. This is the one that sat too high, according to Schroth, for most drivers. This is the one put on clearance and no longer available. These come up used every so often but unless you are a tall driver you should stay away from this bar.

The "V-force" was the next iteration of harness bar that they sold and AFAIK is still available from them.

The OEM bar is more expensive than the used 4tress but is definitely the better option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts