The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(There should be a thread like this but I couldn't find another one.)

I'll start.

Concerned about losing battery charge when I don't use the car, and not having any outlets where I park the Elise, I got an apparatus for mobile battery charging through the cigarette lighter. :clap: I set it up around Friday of last week. In order to see what I was doing, I had the dome light on. :(

I confirmed that it was charging and came home. :)

A neighbor noticed that the cabin light was on and came to tell me. However, he went to the wrong apartment so I never got the message.:(

Dome de dome dome.

Yesterday (Monday), I went out to use the car and the neighbor told me what he had done. So I wasn't surprised that the battery was dead. Unfortunately, that means the alarm system is armed and the doors remain locked. AFAIK, I can't unlock the doors without those 12 volts.

So, in my effort to charge the battery, I instead discharged it. :eek:

I intend to clamp the battery on my beater car to the Elise battery so as to unlock the doors. Fortunately, I can open the trunk and access the battery.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f12...-open-doors-using-key-what-do-i-do-now-66744/

Dan

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,722 Posts
It Worked For James Bond...

Right after I moved to Seattle, back in 1990, I had my Europa delivered to my friend's house, since I was still out of town. I came and picked it up, to drive it to my apartment - maybe 15 miles away. Two blocks from my apartment, at the bottom of a very steep hill, I went through a puddle. As I went forward, the puddle washed over the front bumper (gulp!), up and up the front decklid, and finally touched the bottom of the windscreen, before I emerged. There was almost no water that made it in to the cabin, since it was essentially a wave that made it to my windscreen. I made it the couple of blocks home, turned it off, and could not re-start it. I had to tow the car in - the electrical system had gotten too wet to start. Lesson learned!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
dropped the clutch at 7+rpm ......

not keeping it stock!!!!!!!!

hitting a auto x cone at 70 mph

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know what this counts as but I have driven my lotus under a parking arm at the entrance of a parking lot.
That doesn't sound stupid. It sounds very smart. Unless there were unlpleasant consequences, such as not being able to leave the parking lot.

Maybe a criterion for this thread is that there's a lesson to be learned.

(BTW, 15 minutes of jumper cables connected to a high idle Geo Prizm didn't work. This is turning into a saga.)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Aqua Plaining madness!

My Elise is my commuter car and that's great down here in L.A., usually...However, a couple of weeks ago it was grey and overcast and the forecast was for rain. Pah, rain, us Brit's can drive in rain...we were born to drive in rain. Um yeah, in a normal car, with tyres that don't need replacing, without at least 0.5 inches of water on the freeway. I seriously thought I knew what aquaplaining was, now I REALLY know...coming down the 210 into Pasadena...never ever again -eek-. I will be commandeering the wife's car next time (of course she told me to take it last time :) )...why are they always right!

New to L.A. area would be great to meet some other Lotus folks...anyone in Pasadena head out at the weekends?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I Did This...

Still can't believe I actually did this...:eek: :eek:

Lucky the car didn't "qball" on me!! -eek-

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Thinking I could change the Front sway bar in a couple hours in time to go to the scca autocross this weekend.

Actual finishing time 10 pm :(

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Pulled into one of those do it yourself wash o mats to spray off my wheels and under trays. Put the quarters in and started rinsing off my wheels, walked around to the front of the car and..... The hose for the sprayer goes straight up to a rotating arm in the ceiling, the hose caught the large scrubbing brush hanging on the wall and knocked it onto the front left wheel arch, about 2 inches above the friggin star shield. Put a nice little scuff in the paint but only I can really notice it -still it was a pisser

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.