The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been about a month since I've hit that opossum. Repairs on my car have not yet begun.

The car is sitting in the shop in San Jose. The owner of the shop, a really cool guy, is just waiting for the OK from the insurance company to order the needed parts.

Te adjustor for the insurance company, Wawanesa, also a cool guy, can't give that OK until he gets a second estimate. Appearently, the one they did at my house wasn't enough.

They hire independent appraisers to come look at the car. The appraiser they hired to look at the car in the shop never showed up and won't return the insurance company's calls.

They can't send out another appraiser until X amount of time has gone by that the current appraiser has been out of contact. Appearently, they don't get too many cases where the appraiser decides to drop his contract with the insurance company once a job is assigned.

Bottom line is, I won't be getting the car back until at least June. For a f**king fiberglass crack!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Good to know about this, I have Wawanesa as well :eek:

Hope they get this resolved quickly.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
This doesn't really sound like a problem with the actual insurance company, just a flaky contractor which sucks. How bad is the crack? If it's just cosmetic I'd go pick up the car and enjoy it until it's ready to be fixed. I've only heard good things about Wawanesa so far.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
You must not have rental car covered. Just think, if they had to pay for rental car while your car is gone, they would look to get this fixed sooner.

I have Wawanesa, and I was taken care of in a timely manner.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, rental is covered, I'm drinving it now.

The crack was "beyond" cosmetic: drivable, but very ugly, and I had a missing grille. See my "Lotus, Meet Possum" thread.

Yeah, the blame is with the contractor. The adjustor at wawanesa is on top of it, but there's not much he can do.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The adjustor at wawanesa is on top of it, but there's not much he can do.
There is always something that they can do if they want to bad enough...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Don't get the car, the crack will only spread more. Just wait it out, or keep calling them every few days.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
There is always something that they can do if they want to bad enough...
The problem is they may have a contract with the appraiser and his firm. Granted, that's conjecture. But I'm sure that they would rather expedite the situation and have work begin than pay for the cost of the rental car during the delay. Hiring another appraiser when the amount of time allowed in the contract for the appraiser in question to inspect the vehicle had not been surpassed would constitute breach of contract, which I'm sure would end up being more costly than a rental.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Much as I dislike the People's Republic of Maryland's taxing policies, I have to give MD credit for its auto insurance laws.

Only ONE estimate is needed, the insurance co's cannot require more. And the policy holder can choose where to get the estimate.

The ins. co still does an appraisal, but they cannot mandate where the actual work is done, or what body shop actual does an estimate.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Bottom line is, I won't be getting the car back until at least June. For a f**king fiberglass crack!
If it makes you feel any better, it took from August 2005 to March 2006 for me to get a successful resolution when my ex-wife backed into mine. So, in one year, I had five months of a flawless car and during three of those, I was primarily driving my TT until the lease was up.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Mine took 3 weeks exactly to fix when the adjuster showed up literally 10 minutes after I dropped the car off. I understand waiting a few days but 1 month is totally unacceptable. What ever happened to taking care of the customer?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
You must not have rental car covered. Just think, if they had to pay for rental car while your car is gone, they would look to get this fixed sooner.

I have Wawanesa, and I was taken care of in a timely manner.
I'm taking this one back. I now have a claim for broken window and a few other things, and they are not wanting to pay the shop the amount in labor to fix it. Insurance want to pay $55 / hour, which is what you'd pay to get a Honda or Toyota fixed. Obviously, they want you to take it to one of their places and will fully stand behind it.

So now there is a stand-off, while I'm without a Lotus.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Is there another insurance company in California that can compete with Wawanesa's rates?
Nothing I have ever found. I have been with Wawanesa for years and have never had an issue with them. Last time my car was hit they had a person out right away to get their own estimate. Had a check the second day to take it to the repair center of my choice. No other insurance company has ever done that for me.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Is there another insurance company in California that can compete with Wawanesa's rates?
Not that I could find either. I'm in California, and looked at AAA, State Farm, Farmer's, and 21st Century. Wawanesa was the lowest by far...

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Same thing happened to me with the labor rate difference, the insurance company said that I would have to pay the difference. I told them to find me a shop at their rate that has successfully repaired a Lotus before and I would be willing to pay the difference if they could. They called back later that day and said they would pay the full amount that my body shop of choice was asking for.

I'm taking this one back. I now have a claim for broken window and a few other things, and they are not wanting to pay the shop the amount in labor to fix it. Insurance want to pay $55 / hour, which is what you'd pay to get a Honda or Toyota fixed. Obviously, they want you to take it to one of their places and will fully stand behind it.

So now there is a stand-off, while I'm without a Lotus.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts