The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, the lotus is a british car and that means that the build quality when it comes to things like windows and lining up body panels isn't always going to be the best, but come on, my passenger window has dropped about 2 inches since it was delivered to me about 2 months ago.

I can literally stick two vertical fingers in the gap and when it rains, the passenger gets soaked.

Now I read this thread which links to the two ways to adjust your windows: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/help-adjusting-window-seal-57719/

I did the first one first since it was the easiest to get to. tried adjusting both of the screws and nothing happened.

Then I tried to take the door panel off to adjust the screws on the inside, but one of my door screws is STRIPPED!!! I have no idea how I am supposed to get this screw out since it is flat against the leather of the door panel.

To make matters worse, I'm not feeling the effect of the abscence of HRM as this is something that I'm sure they would be able to do.

I simply don't have the means to drive the car to Queens, NJ, or into the city to be fixed by a Lotus dealer (well maybe MMC, but I'm afraid they'll fix it and tell me it wasn't covered by warranty and slam me with a HUGE bill!).

Anyone have any other ideas? This sucks...

Also, how could the window of dropped that much????

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Post in the local section and see if another member will help you out in exchange for some beer? :shrug:

There are lots of knowledgeable people here and each region seems to have it's "gurus" that can help fix most anything on these cars.

You can also try MM but I think most technical people here could fix a window...

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
From what you describe, I think you have the problem of the window stop/buffer lock nut having loosened up and allowed the buffer to unscrew which will limit the upward travel of the window. I can't find the post from a long time ago that shows a photo of the buffer/stop, but you do need to remove the door trim panel to get to it. Does anyone have the link to the thread with photos of the stop?

·
Premium Member
6,936 Posts
To remove the stripped screw try this. Firstplace something like a piece of thin cardboard against the leather to protect it. Then take a fine screwdriwer with a thin blade, and gently insert it between the panel and screw. While applying slight pressure try backing out the allen screw. This is the common technique to remove many a stripped screw. Then just get a new screw. See if this helps. The window adjustment is actually pretty easy, just a bit of a nuisance. Afew beers should do the trick!!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
The best approach is to remove the side windows and all of the internal door hardware. It will save you about 50lbs of dead weight;).

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The best approach is to remove the side windows and all of the internal door hardware. It will save you about 50lbs of dead weight;).
Or leave the doors off all together - because you really need the door beam to hold the door up.

I have found the doors one of the more difficult parts of the car.

Worse case=Drill out the screw with a small drill bit.
The clip that the screw fits into is a common auto nut on a sheet metal clip - and they have those everywhere.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Unless you install a roll cage I would suggest keeping those danm door beams in there..:D
I do remember gutting my doors. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be(busted knuckles:eek:). I can't even think of having to reinstall all of that hardware.:wallbang:
The doors have got to be THE most complicated assembly on the car...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Its always good to check the screws at the tops of the window track. They are notorious for backing out limiting the travel of the window causing a nice gap. Its best to pull them out completly and add some loc-tite.

Jordan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts