The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta say I'm surprised. I got a graphite grey Elise, and the amount of attention is actually less than I expected off this car.

Sure, people ask questions and look at it. I've seen a few mouths drop. But honestly, no more attention than what I got in my black C5 Z06, or yellow C6. And certainly no more than my Supras.

Being low key can be good, but I won't lie when I say I like attention as well. ;)

Is this something other graphite grey, storm titanium, arctic silver, etc. owners have experienced? :shrug:

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
My truck is Storm Gray...and doesn't get a second glance. :D

Location also plays a big part. I live in the land of Ferraris and Maseratis and yet my Exige pulls huge attention.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Mag blue...:cool:

Krypton Green...:eek:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mine is Aspen and I can't get people to stop looking at it. I sat at starbuck's yesterday for 30 minutes or so waiting for my husband and everyone who drove into the drive through at least slowed to look, 3 or 4 people stopped and looked, and one guy in a scion drove by twice and stopped both times, and there is always the old-timer who has to walk up and verify that it is a Lotus. I sit there and chuckle because it's almost like I'm watching tv - no one ever suspects that it's mine. I don't think I would have sat there for so long if I didn't have that to keep me entertained. The only time it makes me mad is when people coast along in my blind spot and I can't get over in traffic.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I agree, location does play a part but then again my artic silver elise gets lots of attention even when there are ferraris and lambos to see.

·
Registered
317 Posts
One of the reasons I bought Artic Silver was to attract less attention. Didn't work. This car still gets more looks, shouts, questions, etc than anything else I've owned including the Esprit, Porsche, BMW, Benz, Vette, or obnoxious Mustang vert. If it was CO or KG, I'm sure it would be more noticeable.

Sure this was posted here somewhere, but in case you haven't seen it:
Does car color correlate with personal confidence? - Autoblog

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Plenty with a tarted up Chili Red :drool:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought the Storm Titanium because I thought it would garner less attention. It sure doesn't seem that way, though.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Canyon Red gets plenty of attention, much more so during the daytime hardly anything at night so you may have a point.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
CO or KG :sheep::D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Storm Titanium....actually gets more attention that i thought.. Yesterday, there was a F430 in the same parking lot as my car was and we when came out of the restaurant, there was 6 people around our car.. and no one even looking @ the Ferrari. this also happened last year at Champ Car, we were parked at a Hotel with PLENTY of exotics and supercars... we were walking back and there was literally a crowd in front of the lotus.... of course they looked at the other cars, but the lotus was the center of attention.. i think it may be because people don't know what it is.. so in their minds... it is exceptional to see one.... Ferrari, Lambos, porches... everybody has seen one (in real or in print) but people are attracted to the less familiar i guess!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Storm Titanium....actually gets more attention that i thought.. Yesterday, there was a F430 in the same parking lot as my car was and we when came out of the restaurant, there was 6 people around our car.. and no one even looking @ the Ferrari. this also happened last year at Champ Car, we were parked at a Hotel with PLENTY of exotics and supercars... we were walking back and there was literally a crowd in front of the lotus.... of course they looked at the other cars, but the lotus was the center of attention.. i think it may be because people don't know what it is.. so in their minds... it is exceptional to see one.... Ferrari, Lambos, porches... everybody has seen one (in real or in print) but people are attracted to the less familiar i guess!
Exactly...I think the rarity of a Lotus here is a huge factor, along with the color. :D

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I do think color influences attention. I thought Storm Titanium was/is less flashy but I have learned it garners more attention than I am used to - IMO.

I think ST sophisticatedly enhances the lines and depth of the car whereas some people are immediately turned off by bright flashy colors.

It is like the 800lb gorilla in the room to some. Sure, it catches the eye and stands out but it is a little obvious. :crazyeyes

Last year, I studied people at a car show that had a variety of cars. My car was in a Lotus section of the show; parked with other Elises (including a Yellow Sport Elise), Esprits and a Laser Blue Exige that was all modded out (custom rims and other external bits). :eek:

I though my stock Exige, being the color it was, would get overshadowed and just kinda fall into the background and be boring. I was surprised to see it got the most crowds and attention around it of any car there. I didn't understand because I was drooling at other cars. :drool:

Some didn't know I was the owner and I would mingle in with the crowd, listen and ask what they liked about the car - Beyond all the same things the other cars had (the shape, lines and style) many said it was the color and how much more "exotic" it looked.

One guy said the Orange Elise and Blue Exige looked like toys and made the car look even smaller (comparing it to a Shriner clown go cart?) and that the Titanium looked like it was worth over a hundred thousand dollars. :shrug: What I took from that show was that some colors like Storm, Arctic and Graphite give a more exotic, timeless flavor.

Some bright colors seem to be trendy and don't wear as well.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
One guy said the Orange Elise and Blue Exige looked like toys and made the car look even smaller (comparing it to a Shriner clown go cart?) and that the Titanium looked like it was worth over a hundred thousand dollars. :shrug: What I took from that show was that some colors like Storm, Arctic and Graphite give a more exotic, timeless flavor.
My Mag Blue got the "couple hundred thousand" comment...:evil:

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
From someone that had his BRP Elise and had it painted a dark charcoal gray. The car definitely gets less attention now by the general public. Woman would always compliment me on how beautiful the deep red color looked.

Since the new paint job I now get more focused attention from car people and particularly Lotus owners who now compliment me on the color. I'm guessing that this is similar to the experience that Vishus_1 experienced at his car meet.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts