The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made my first beer run in the lotus today, illegal as can be with no reg / inspection / insurance. Car runs great, nice and smooth, builds boost early. Has a little bit of a rough idle but I am sure some tweaking will even it out. Injectors are probably still dribbling a bit rather than spraying even, so that may be some of it.

Got the car fired yesterday, but it wouldn't take any throttle. Some diagnostics with this handy CIS gauge set I bought showed that the control pressure from the WUR was equal to fuel pressure @ ~ 90psi. Pulled the WUR and disassembled and it was knarly inside. Cleaned it all up, and found that the plunger that goes against the steel disc was stuck. Got that cleaned and reinstalled and the control pressure dropped significantly, and was dead on for my air pressure and temp. Car would take throttle and all was good. I have been driving it around the neighborhood, windows down and targa top off, what a fun little go cart.

Now enjoying a Rampant IPA purchased while out cruising the hood.

One question for you guys. Oil pressure is between 4 and 5 bars all the time. Is that a bit high or normal for a fresh engine?

·
Super Moderator
4,040 Posts
[snip]
[snip] Oil pressure is between 4 and 5 bars all the time. Is that a bit high or normal for a fresh engine?
My 88 does 4/5 bar most of the time when warming up. Once it's warm (e.g. about 5-8 miles on my commute), it will sit around 3 bar @ idle in a California fall/winter (ambient temp 60F).

On a warm summer California day, it can go to 2.5 bar; have seen 2.0 bar but only on hot summer day (90F) and heavy commute traffic.

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds like a fun time! Any chance you got photos of the WUR clean up?:popcorn:
Here it is pre-clean up, I don't have a post clean up photo.

In the second photo you can see the disc that has a little movable plunger in the middle. This little plunger was corroded and stuck. Usually this presses against the thin stainless disc and regulates the control pressure. It was stuck all the way off, and so the control pressure was not being regulated. A good careful cleaning of everything with WD40 and we were back in business. Pressure was spot on.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Cool! Thanks for posting a photo. I have been wondering about taking that apart and cleaning it. I cleaned out my Aux Air Valve not long ago... not sure it made a difference, but it is def cleaner!

Cameron

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out this document, has some good info. Ours is more complex, but essentially the same. Take pictures and put it back together the same way you take it apart and you will be good.

www.jtresto.com/e21/WURServicing.pdf

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,095 Posts
I cleaned out my Aux Air Valve not long ago... not sure it made a difference, but it is def cleaner!

Cameron

The Auxiliary Air Valve does not contain fuel, so today's ethanol-laced killer gas would not gum it up.

But cleanliness is next to godliness, as they say. :cool:

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The aux air valve, aka idle motor, does get "sticky". Easy to tell. Take it off and quickly rotate it. You should feel the shutter inside move and spring back. If you don't you can shoot Brakeclean inside and flush out the gunk and shake it and rotate it till it moves easily inside. Even if it is working it will make it work faster so it's response time is lower and it will better control the idle. Even though it is after the air filter, the air filter does not take ALL of the dirt out and over time a lot can accumulate in the air passages. Same thing happens to the mass air flow sensor on newer cars. It should be cleaned often. There is even a special cleaner made just for doing that so you don't mess up that special element.
David Teitelbaum

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got to go for a drive today. Only 30 miles but its all I had time for. 10 year old tires sure do flat spot. Hoping they go round again at some point. Thinking of running them at 15-20 psi for a while so they get good and hot then air them back up.

Going to get a good compound and wax in the next couple of days, make her really shine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Ditto replace them tires. What type of wheels do you have in the pics?

They are late model Esprit "Nova"s
also known as UNOBTANIUM

I just got these installed, look similar to Nova

·
Cal H
982 Posts
I was wondering if they were Novas or another look alike. If they are Novas from a V8 they probably rub in the front wheel wells. Plus you probably need adjustable uppers links in the rear to get the right alignment. When the time comes I think I going for or something similar in size to the S4s wheels. I still have a source for tires in the correect sizes so I'm going to stick to stock SE wheels for a bit longer

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I was wondering if they were Novas or another look alike. If they are Novas from a V8 they probably rub in the front wheel wells. Plus you probably need adjustable uppers links in the rear to get the right alignment. When the time comes I think I going for or something similar in size to the S4s wheels. I still have a source for tires in the correect sizes so I'm going to stick to stock SE wheels for a bit longer
Sorry for the hijack...

I had Saturn's on prior to these wheels and they and the current wheels rub ever so slightly BUT only with steering wheel turned to a degree which would not be done in normal driving, i.e. only when uber low speed while parking do they rub.

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rears are oem oz nova. Fronts are oz nova from a different application. Fronts don't rub as they are a slightly different offset. I am going to get aligned and corner balanced early next week.

Rear tires are round, just the front nankings that have flatspots. All 4 are brand new but Dunlops in the rear. I am shopping for a new set of fronts since 150 miles and they are still eggs on the front.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
The s4 has power steering. How are cars with no power steering with the V8 wheels? I only know of one early turbo car with power steering and that was the 88 owned by Kylie Smith in NZ before she got the sport 350.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Rears are oem oz nova. Fronts are oz nova from a different application. Fronts don't rub as they are a slightly different offset. I am going to get aligned and corner balanced early next week.

Rear tires are round, just the front nankings that have flatspots. All 4 are brand new but Dunlops in the rear. I am shopping for a new set of fronts since 150 miles and they are still eggs on the front.
If you get up to DFW ping me, got a friend who has a tirerack.com account and can get tires for wholesale and <SHHHHH!> pay cash and no tax... :) Message me if so

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,095 Posts
How are cars with no power steering with the V8 wheels?
Flatspin (Martin) on the TurboEsprit mail list has run the same late-model wheels on his '86 for several years now, post over there if you really want to know.

Also, ask Vulcan Gray (Travis) about his V8 wheels. He went to the trouble of updating the suspension on his SE for more adjust-ability when he fitted the wider doughnuts.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Flatspin (Martin) on the TurboEsprit mail list has run the same late-model wheels on his '86 for several years now, post over there if you really want to know.

Also, ask Vulcan Gray (Travis) about his V8 wheels. He went to the trouble of updating the suspension on his SE for more adjust-ability when he fitted the wider doughnuts.
I used on post on the list a lot in the early to mid 2K. But lately the posts has slowed to a trickle. I actually had similar adjustable suspension on my SE. Never switched to V8 wheels but the car was adjusted for my driver weight while I sat in the car with no passenger. I talked to Keen Young years ago when looking at the bare S4 frame with welded tabs for the PS and he had he mentioned a different geometry that was possible with power steering that the SE's lacked and the increased steering effort that would result from setting up the SE like an S4 and later cars.

So since Travis has the closest car model to mine the question for Travis is how long have you had the V8 wheels, have you set up the SE like an S4 or later cars and what do you notice in actual difference in steering effort and your thoughts of how if affects the service life of the steering rack. I have asked Kylie in the past about the PS mod on her 88 car done in NZ but she was unsure of the make and model of the unit used on the mod.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts