The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know that the Chaparral 2J had a separate engine to generate downforce even at low speeds. My question has anyone extended this technology to its logical (ie "more power") conclusion and seen how many Gs one can pull on the skidpad? It seems I might have at some point heard of some unlimited skidpad "racing", but I can't find anything on the web. Anyone heard of such a thing?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
There was a time not too long ago that suction cars really dominated autocrossing in the unlimited/modified class. They worked so well they were outlawed.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Road & Track
February 1996
Skidpad Challenge

The winning vehicle was a SCCA Solo2 A-Modified class car, built by Todd & George Bowland, which using the vacuum assist, won the competition with a record two-way average of 1.982 g's.

BTW - that's the same exact car I've been racing this year, but without the sucker fans...
;)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Yet in a way... the car still manages to suck.

:)

I mean that in the nicest way (the car has been not running 100% this year for most of the season).

On the plus side... you get to drive an Elise at Nationals. :)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Yeah, the car's owner managed to blow the motor up at Atwater.
Oops.

OTOH, the damn thing was absolutuely glorious when it was working.

Rebuilt motor and F.I. are on the horizon, but co-driving an Elise with Randy at Nationals this year is no small consolation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts