The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the way to the track, there is this bumpy highway wherein i cruise around 60-80mph and sometimes i tend to just leave it around 4K rpm then suddenly i feel a power loss in the engine, as if hitting a rev limiter, of course i release on the gas pedal, and as soon as i step back on it, as if nothing happened to the car.

i've tracked my car a couple of times, 20-30mins sessions, with nothing like that happening. but always, on that highway, the car never fails to do that. and now on the way home, this time on a smooth highway, i experience the same thing, but once only.

there's no check engine light, nor funny sounds from the engine, nor any power loss.

anybody experience this? is this normal? and what's the cause? thanks.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...are you cruising at a steady speed when it happens?..

...from your description it's difficult to diagnose what you mean by 'power loss', but if you're just describing a change in the engine's running feel, not throttle response under acceleration, it could be as simple as a tailwind or slight downhill grade taking it off of load...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Was the AC on? I had the same problem and it turned out to be a problem with the ECU and the AC. There is a fix for it that should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AC was on. car is already here in the philippines. no lotus dealer so i'm on my own to take care of the problems, and of course with the kind help of fellow forum members. if there's any fix ECU related, i can send out the ECU as my folks have a house in California.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Here's your problem:

SERVICE Date: 03.08.06 2006/20
BULLETIN Model: '06 Elise/Exige a.c.
Service Manager Service Reception Supervisor Parts Manager
Lotus Cars Limited, Norwich, Norfolk, NR14 8EZ. England.
CLASS 3
TITLE: Momentary engine power interruption.
REASON: It has been found that on a very small number of '06 model year cars, with an unfavourable tolerance
a.c. control module, it is possible under some circumstances that sparking across the a.c.
compressor relay contacts can cause a voltage spike which results in the engine ECU resetting.
This will be experienced as a momentary interruption of engine power, and is likely to occur only
very occasionally. It is also possible that a throttle related trouble code may be set. e.g. P0638.

Action: If this symptom should be reported, it is recommended to replace the a.c./fan control module
A117M0038F

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh well, i guess i will just have to live with it. it happens very rarely. actually only three time since i owned the car. just wanted to be sure it wasn't something i should be very concerned about.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Mine happens all the time... completely obnoxious. Still happens after the dealership supposedly replaced the module. Saw another thread here that shows pics of the faulty module and the proper one so I checked it today... if they actually replaced it, they replaced it with the faulty one! Grrrrr....

It's not fun to step on the pedal and watch your car buck to a stop... same while cruising.

:wallbang:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thread is here:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/exige-s-engine-cutout-c-relay-information-66770/

Shows what your relay module SHOULD look like, as well as the location in the Exige (in the Elise it's under the passenger side access panel next to the fusebox).

May want to check.

The dealership should replace it if it's under warranty, but you could end up like me with just another faulty one installed as a "fix". Wish I had had qball's photo to verify the work back when it was done. Just finished ordering the right part (A117M0038F as stated above) from lotusgarage for a shade over $70 though - didn't want to fool with dropping the car off at the dealership again.

EDIT: Correction, price has changed to $178 or so. Thanks Lotus.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Dang - I had mine replaced and just checked it and it is still the old style - curses

1 - 11 of 11 Posts