The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, thought some would get a dig out of this.

I had this Group N style Sparco quick release sitting around for my touring car project, and decided it would be of better use on the Lotus in the meantime. So, got myself a 330mm Mod 78 GT wheel from MOMO and paired them up.

I don't really like 'tiny tiny' wheels, so going smaller than the 320mm standard wheel wasn't really a feasible option for me, and the few 320mm's on the market weren't really my thing either. It's a little deceiving, but the 330mm actually measures near on 320mm side to side, and is only just larger than the standard, plasticky feeling wheel. Which I might add... I despised. Why Lotus never released these 'driver's race' cars with the Sparco Cup or the Lotus 111R wheel as standard, I'll never know. But I digress.
Compared.

With the back of the quick release spline, how far I could move the wheel back was going to be limited, as the nutted spline of the column would come into contact if I set the wheel too far back. Not to worry, I wanted it further towards me anyway. Bent elbows>outstretched arms anyday.

As there are only really 4 sizes of spacers made (20mm, 30mm, 40mm and 50mm), I deduced that while somewhere in between 20mm and 30mm would be perfect, I had to err on the larger side and opt for a 30mm. Although this leaves the blinkers a little too far of a reach for my liking, it would do and I could live with it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Upon searching for the spacers, I was made aware that 25mm's were being made (win!) but that they'd be a month off (not so win). All they had was a 40mm in stock, so I decided to see how it would fit up, for the time being. The fit was pretty dismal, and the holes unaligned, so I took it out to my fabricator/machinist who machined the diameter down to 27mm (absolutely perfect) and I redrilled 6 holes for mounting it from the backside. To stop them bottoming out on the black plastic rotary wheel behind the car's factory boss, I took a Stanley knife to the raised sections of plastic on the bottom of that rotary wheel, also.

Then... perfecto. I haven't sorted the horn out yet and will get an ECU fettle to rid the airbag light. I also like the visible centre spline so will probably leave that without a decal or button. I'm thinking of rerouting the horn button to the trip reset, and sending that to the rear fog switch. In any case, I'm toying with the idea of installing the MoTeC SDL dash I have sitting around, so will sort both out if I travel that (probable) route.

It's great to finally drive this car, with a properly circular wheel that actually has a bit of grip to it, and the spacing from the stalks and to the driver is now perfect. I can't wait to feel it with a quicker rack, as well.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the wheel also looks somewhat familiar in the Loti... it's the same as what's in the Sport Exige race car. Does look good with the Lotus centre button!

·
Registered
913 Posts
When holding the wheel at the 9/3 position; with the increase diameter do you feel that you can hold a tighter radius before your arms cross? The delta in OD from OEM to the new might be negligible but I wonder. Probably a little reduced effort due to increase in leverage?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A little, and that is the exact reason I don't particularly like small wheels. Unless you're on a full race rack. The rack is snappy enough that it's not that different with almost the same size wheel, but I definitely prefer it to the standard item. I've gone to 350mm's before in other cars and you certainly know about it, but obviously that's far too big for the Loti.
It also depends on where the spokes join, as you can imagine.

Cheers

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
how do you remove the airbag to get to the mounting screws?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the original wheel itself, there are two screws on either side just behind the spokes, holding it in. If you undo them, the whole centre section (the airbag) falls out, then you just disconnect it. With the battery disconnected, of course!

·
Registered
913 Posts
A little, and that is the exact reason I don't particularly like small wheels. Unless you're on a full race rack. The rack is snappy enough that it's not that different with almost the same size wheel, but I definitely prefer it to the standard item. I've gone to 350mm's before in other cars and you certainly know about it, but obviously that's far too big for the Loti.
It also depends on where the spokes join, as you can imagine.

Cheers
Thanks for the response. I have a setup due for installation with a 315mm Reverie wheel - 5mm smaller OD than OEM. With my plans of changing to a quick steering ratio rack; I was thinking it might match up well but if not - I'll bump up to a 330mm as well to test.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
In contrast I think the steering wheel that comes with the Elise/Exige is the best I've ever seen. At 6'3" i couldn't fit in an esprit because the wheel was too big around, the little Exige wheel is perfect.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Nice work... Looks great! I have a quick release as well, and absolutely love it. It's real hard for me to get in/out of a car without it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You need some kind of spacer/adapter, because the Loti only has four holes where most wheels have six. Plus that big spline/nut in the centre will stop it from resting flush.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Simply Sports Cars here in Australia :) They should have 25mm's on offer now. As mentioned, I wanted a 30mm but bought a 40mm and had it machined down to 27mm. Spot on for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts