The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the FI subforum..

My Elise is bone stock, but I am planning on going with the VF Stage II supercharger setup. Is an aftermarket exhaust necessary/recommended with a supercharger?

If I do go for an aftermarket exhaust, I'd love to get one that exits through the rear panel, like the European Elises - I just think that it looks more exotic that way. I'd also like one that sounds good, but is quiet as possible. No need to attract even more attention.

Does such an exhaust exist? I saw the Larini SE Style on Sector111, but it says "NOT acceptable for supercharged cars."

·
Registered
912 Posts
I love my 2bular with the decat. 8x24, i thought it was going to be too quite but I was wrong. Perfect sound, when cruising its quiet and no drone. When giving it the beans screams like a madman all the way to the top.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
2bular is a great exhaust with outstanding quality and performance. There is also the stage 2/3 (whatever they are calling it today) exhaust Lotus sells by Janspeed.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Janspeed no longer makes stage 2's they were louder then the current and they cracked at the welds. The way it goes stage 2 for the NA cars and stage 3 for the SC'ed cars. The piping are different sizes.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...riddlefox is looking for an above-diffuser dual-tip exhaust appropriate for forced induction cars...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Another vote for 2bular. Email Jim, as I recall he has several styles of exhaust for FI motors, including twin outlets above the diffuser.

2Bular - Performance Exhausts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys; I will look at 2bular's site. With the supercharger setup, should I be looking at the whole header/cat/catback, or is just the catback ok to use?

·
Registered
842 Posts
I emailed Jim Valentine recently with some 2bular exhaust questions and he mentioned that he's had some issues with his website recently. So, you may want to email him for details, rather than relying on what is on the site.

I've had a 2bular through-the-diffuser exhaust for over three years with great results. I'm planning to go with a complete 2bular system soon for my BWR setup. Great quality workmanship.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Thank you guys; I will look at 2bular's site. With the supercharger setup, should I be looking at the whole header/cat/catback, or is just the catback ok to use?
I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. Be aware that a high-flow cat and header can affect the AFR, usually leaning it out, so you'll want a tune for those. You will get more power. The catback is usually safe, but you may want to ask whoever is doing your tune (Jermaine or Charlie, I expect).

·
Registered
912 Posts
If you do header and cat you will need a tune. So its up to you how much you want to spend. Also headers will void your warranty if you still have one. Remember you can still upgrade the headers later on when you decided to tune for more power.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
If you do header and cat you will need a tune. So its up to you how much you want to spend. Also headers will void your warranty if you still have one. Remember you can still upgrade the headers later on when you decided to tune for more power.
Agreed...I also have 2bular GT3 8x24 with 2bular decat - don't need a tune with this. I also have ported header - again don't need tune.
If you go with just 2bular exhaust, it's relatively quiet (just over 100 dbl - when you are WOT - at least, that's what Laguna sound checked me at).
I have Charlie tune with BWR setup.
Nice thing about Jim's 2bulars is that he sets up the exhaust for s/c - just let him know in advance.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just over 100db's? That's LOUD! You mean just over 90db's? Laguna normally has a 92db limit... or were you running on a race weekend?

Agreed...I also have 2bular GT3 8x24 with 2bular decat - don't need a tune with this. I also have ported header - again don't need tune.
If you go with just 2bular exhaust, it's relatively quiet (just over 100 dbl - when you are WOT - at least, that's what Laguna sound checked me at).
I have Charlie tune with BWR setup.
Nice thing about Jim's 2bulars is that he sets up the exhaust for s/c - just let him know in advance.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the FI subforum..

My Elise is bone stock, but I am planning on going with the VF Stage II supercharger setup. Is an aftermarket exhaust necessary/recommended with a supercharger?

If I do go for an aftermarket exhaust, I'd love to get one that exits through the rear panel, like the European Elises - I just think that it looks more exotic that way. I'd also like one that sounds good, but is quiet as possible. No need to attract even more attention.

Does such an exhaust exist? I saw the Larini SE Style on Sector111, but it says "NOT acceptable for supercharged cars."
Two selection really, if you are in search of a 'quiet' exhaust.
1. Larini 8" ...I have this one on my VF2 equipped Elise, it is not quiet like you probably are hoping, but in Lotus world it is one of the 'quietest' you will find
2. Tubular GT3 8"by24" (CHECK SIZING) The bigger the can the better for quietness...This one is longer than the Larini 8" I think, so it should be less loud.

Honorable Mention: Stock...restrictive and HEAVY (35lbs?), but by far the least loud.

-Robert

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you guys for the suggestions. I saw the Larini 8" exhaust on Sector 111, but I was hoping for two exits, like this:

If that's just not possible, then I'm leaning towards the Larini 8", as long as it works well with a S/C.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But the Larini SE is "NOT acceptable for supercharged cars," according to the website - and I am going to be installing the VF2 supercharger setup.

·
Registered
420 Posts
But the Larini SE is "NOT acceptable for supercharged cars," according to the website - and I am going to be installing the VF2 supercharger setup.
I'm in the same boat as you, I'll be adding a supercharger next year, and want a dual tip exhaust as well. The only one I've found that seems like it would work is the 2bular. I haven't gotten any info on pricing yet though.

-Adam

1 - 20 of 39 Posts