The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently towing the Elise to events. The trailer I bought (with the Elise, incidentally) came with wheel straps that require threading the part that goes through the wheel into the ratchet every time you hook it up, and visa-versa to remove it. Needless to say, this is a giant pain and takes 15-20 minutes to load or unload the trailer.

I'm looking for a slightly better solution. I'm hoping something exists that lets me wrap it through the wheel and then attach to itself with a hook onto a D ring or something like that. Ideas?...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
You'll want something called an "axle strap" - essentially a 24" long strap with two D/triangle rings on each end that pass through your wheel and connect to your tie-down. I have M&Rs with protective sleeves (about $8.50 a piece), and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I just wrap my straps through the wheels and use towels so the straps don't scratch or rub the wheels. Works great for me. I love unleashing the lotus in a different city after traveling with the trailer... its a really awesome feeling.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to be towing two different cars with different wheelbases (spec miata and the elise), so the wheel nets would be much harder to install to make that work. =/

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I'm going to be towing two different cars with different wheelbases (spec miata and the elise), so the wheel nets would be much harder to install to make that work. =/
Use "E-track" on the trailer - a bracket that has multiple positions to attach the tie-downs to. The site I linked to previously has something similar call "versa-track", but "E-Track" is a standard and widely available. Here's a link: Mac's VersaTie track kits, aluminum track, E track, and deck hardware

Here's a trailer supply place: For the track, and for the E-Track hardware. Google "E-Track" and you will find more sources than you could possibly need...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Use "E-track" on the trailer - a bracket that has multiple positions to attach the tie-downs to. The site I linked to previously has something similar call "versa-track", but "E-Track" is a standard and widely available.
"versa-track" is just Mac's proprietary name for "airline track" aka "load track" aka "l-track" and is also standard and widely available. L track can handle a bit more load (irrelevant for any typical car trailer, as e-track is up to the task) and is more compact and cleaner in appearance. also it's easier to clean out.

whether e-track or l-track, it's definitely the way to go.

I'm currently towing the Elise to events. The trailer I bought (with the Elise, incidentally) came with wheel straps that require threading the part that goes through the wheel into the ratchet every time you hook it up, and visa-versa to remove it. Needless to say, this is a giant pain and takes 15-20 minutes to load or unload the trailer.

I'm looking for a slightly better solution. I'm hoping something exists that lets me wrap it through the wheel and then attach to itself with a hook onto a D ring or something like that. Ideas?...
Interesting. You make it sound like the threading of the strap through the ratchet is time consuming. I've never had that problem and it's so easy I never even thought of it as a possible concern. Maybe "you're doing it wrong"?

No matter what, a ratchet will be involved in the tie down and I don't see how you're going to get away without a strap that threads into the ratchet.

BTW, it's vice-versa ... sorry one of my peeves! :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not that doing it once is particularly time consuming, but having to thread the strap through the wheel, thread the tail through the D ring, then thread the tail through the ratchet, feed the tail out the other side of the ratchet, then get it to the right length so that it doesn't bind on itself but is still long enough to provide good friction, and then tighten it down, 4 times, then doing the reverse process to unload it, twice a day (to the event and back from the event) is quite a bit of time involvement. If I could get straps like the above that would just hook around the wheel into a D ring that detached in seconds and could stay basically assembled on the trailer at all times, that would save a ton of time.

·
Registered
658 Posts
It's not that doing it once is particularly time consuming, but having to thread the strap through the wheel, thread the tail through the D ring, then thread the tail through the ratchet, feed the tail out the other side of the ratchet, then get it to the right length so that it doesn't bind on itself but is still long enough to provide good friction, and then tighten it down, 4 times, then doing the reverse process to unload it, twice a day (to the event and back from the event) is quite a bit of time involvement. If I could get straps like the above that would just hook around the wheel into a D ring that detached in seconds and could stay basically assembled on the trailer at all times, that would save a ton of time.
yes, the wheel nets are much faster, easier, and IMO safer. e-track or l-track facilitates the use of them. i would GUESS that the spec miata and elise wheelbase are close enough that you can place d-rings to accomodate either, but the weight distribution of the cars is different so you'd have to locate them differently on the trailer. well anyway you will like the e-track.

but also, i don't find it time consuming to use a [through-the] wheel strap. breaking all those tasks out make it sound like a chore, but really each of them is easy and not at all work. for example, threading the ratchet isn't like threading a needle. you just insert the strap ... done. finding the right length is likewise easy ... you just pull taut and then pull back a little bit.

for me, undoing the straps is more of a hassle.

with the nets, you still need to thread a strap through the ratchet, find the right length, and so on -- from the way i'm reading your post this is what you were focusing on as being tedious and that part doesn't go away.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I love unleashing the lotus in a different city after traveling with the trailer... its a really awesome feeling.
that might be a fun tour of the US! you always see a motorhome towing a jeep or other small get-around vehicle but it would be awesome to do with a lotus!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts