The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find listed a replacement boot for the two fuse blocks in Elise engine bay. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Mine have rotted and I've temporarily slathered them in liquid electrical tape. I have found 4 to 1 shrink tubing in 2" but was wondering if anyone has a better solution.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,125 Posts
They are from an old BMW, look under the fuse covers and you will see the BMW part number.

·
Administrator
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kubera!

Reactions: Kubera

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Hmmm. I am interested. Please post the part number. :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Buzzard the number on the cap panned out to a discontinued part but I am going to give some 2" 4:1 heat shrink a try. I started thinking about all that could go wrong de pinning and repinning so I'll try shrink first.

·
Administrator
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will post my results looks like I'm not alone here! 3-5 day shipping and I will have to pull SC again after doing it twice in the last few days. Second time was much faster than the first.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I'm running mine naked, pretty much like the ECU connectors. Watch out for that heat shrink, the force it can exert is massive. It might rip the pins out of the box.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,125 Posts
This is the fuse cover, I will look for the entire assembly, so far that BMW boot is the closest thing I have been able to find.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,125 Posts
Here is something interesting I found, hope this helps:

It seems that the best solution to our rubber boot is to use the idea as the picture above, rubber heat shrink wrap.

·
Administrator
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kubera that heat shrink tubing tubing is what I'm doing. I've ordered a 4' stick of 2" double wall adhesive lined heat shrink tubing plus a roll of 1" heat shrink tape. Decided to hold off finishing SC reinstall it will be so much easier to hit with heat without REV300 in place.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,125 Posts
Kubera that heat shrink tubing tubing is what I'm doing. I've ordered a 4' stick of 2" double wall adhesive lined heat shrink tubing plus a roll of 1" heat shrink tape. Decided to hold off finishing SC reinstall it will be so much easier to hit with heat without REV300 in place.
That's the best idea, I would not want to take apart the fuse box to insert a new boot.

·
Administrator
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thebuzzard...I would offer to send you some of mine as I'm sure to have leftover but with three boats I see that as a handy and not readily available size so here's the links...https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/4-1-adhesive-lined-dual-wall-heat-shrink https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/heat-shrink-adhesive-wrap

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Many thanks! That looks like something I have to have in my garage :)

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,125 Posts
This is something that we are going to need to do in our cars, just with age the rubber will age and start to rot, who knows when the actual part was manufactured.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Helpful thread. Repairing the boots has been on my list. Had been thinking of silicone tape; but I think that adhesive shrink wrap is the better option.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can't find listed a replacement boot for the two fuse blocks in Elise engine bay. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Mine have rotted and I've temporarily slathered them in liquid electrical tape. I have found 4 to 1 shrink tubing in 2" but was wondering if anyone has a better solution.
This is an interesting thread but it would be helpful if we knew what model Elise you own. Is it an S1 or S2? Does it only affect cars with the 'K' series engine? Mines an S2. Oh by the way if you guys want an idea for repairing the indicator lens -

·
Administrator
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I received the shrink tube today and it is thick! I decided to do a test and after making sure it would fit over the fuse block with some coaxing I found an oddball shaped object (surform tool) and stuck a screwdriver shank into to simulate fuse block and wires. I found did conform and is just shy of a complete seal on the wires. I feel the 1" tape is too bulky to use to make that seal so I will use silicone to backfill between wires and the shrink tube and secure with zip tie. No cutting of this on the wire as the danger of cutting insulation is too great but the fuse block should trim up fine. I'll be doing it tomorrow and will post final results.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts