The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Terry
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really want both but I don't think I can afford them at the same time. I've narrowed down to 2 choices for xmas: Go Kart or performance upgrades for my Lotus.

For go karts I'm thinking about either Tony kart, CRG or even Lotus Kart, 125cc spec. I've gone to local karting shop, Cambrian Kart and talked to the owner Donald Jr. twice about getting either a new or used kart. He showed me around and I am very tempted...

and for performance upgrade, Vision Function supercharger and Nitron singles. I've talked to Harry at A1 Auto in San Gabriel quite a few times, I know that having a supercharger can totally change my n/a Lotus, but is it really worth it?

For those who have both, or either one of them, what's your thought on this? :nanner:

Thanks in advance!

or

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Supercharger and suspension. It will totally transform your Lotus. Go Kart is fun but you can't use it all the time and it's really tough on the body. Had a buddy break ribs several times on a Rotax.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Talked to someone running a shifter cart at the GrandAm weekend at Laguna Seca, some pretty amazing performance in race trim (1:34 laps and 115mph on the main straight). If your not already setup for it, there will be added overhead in transporting and limited opportunities for seat time. But if you make the time, a great way to improve your driving and a means of getting into racing.

Added the Nitron S/A early in the year- nice step up for track duty and the adjustability allows for a better ride than stock. Hard to argue about adding more power to the levels of a NA Elise.

For me it would come down to if I think I’d use the Kart enough to make it worth while.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I love my Lotus.

But I can tell you first hand that a Lotus does not handle like a go kart.

If you want to get into racing, Karts are great and cheep (relatively).
If you have a kart track close and want a hobby, Karts are cheep (The track by me is $40.00 for all day track rental non-race days), and you can autocross them in the SCCA.

If you dont have a track close, or dont have a easy way to haul them (sort of like a baby, it has lots of baggage to keep one happy), and want to make you Lotus more enjoyable, Option B.

·
Terry
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vf it will put a lot of smile everyday you drive it.
I can imagine that :) so tempting!

Supercharger and suspension. It will totally transform your Lotus. Go Kart is fun but you can't use it all the time and it's really tough on the body. Had a buddy break ribs several times on a Rotax.
damn that's hardcore racing! breaking ribs suck... :(

Talked to someone running a shifter cart at the GrandAm weekend at Laguna Seca, some pretty amazing performance in race trim (1:34 laps and 115mph on the main straight). If your not already setup for it, there will be added overhead in transporting and limited opportunities for seat time. But if you make the time, a great way to improve your driving and a means of getting into racing.

Added the Nitron S/A early in the year- nice step up for track duty and the adjustability allows for a better ride than stock. Hard to argue about adding more power to the levels of a NA Elise.

For me it would come down to if I think I’d use the Kart enough to make it worth while.

that's true, how often can i tow my kart to the track and have fun with it... guess that's something i should think about thanks!

I love my Lotus.

But I can tell you first hand that a Lotus does not handle like a go kart.

If you want to get into racing, Karts are great and cheep (relatively).
If you have a kart track close and want a hobby, Karts are cheep (The track by me is $40.00 for all day track rental non-race days), and you can autocross them in the SCCA.

If you dont have a track close, or dont have a easy way to haul them (sort of like a baby, it has lots of baggage to keep one happy), and want to make you Lotus more enjoyable, Option B.
yup totally agree on everything is relatively cheaper, i heard they are building a track near where I live next year, so if that's the case, i guess it'll be a lot of fun!

Another vote for the SC/Nitrons
thanks! Guess I'll for a test drive from those who have both nitron and supercharger. rotfl

·
Registered
322 Posts
You will get both eventually and you will be happy with either one now. So go with your gut instinct, choose the one you want more now and spend the six grand. You'll have another six grand to spend before you know it... Hopefully...

Good luck.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Karting is the ultimate thrill without spending F1 type money. I've owned and run 100cc HPV, 125cc Rotax and 125cc mod moto shifter karts. All are great! If you want to hone your driving skills stick with a 100 or 125 single speed until you master it! Going straight to a shifter will make you a bad driver and you will get frustrated quickly. Shifters allow you to cover up mistakes by downshifting. Single speeds will teach you momentum driving and will lead to the skills required to drive a shifter to its potential when you're ready to move up. After working my way up to a shifter, I eventually went back to a Rotax because I was getting sloppy! Lol
All are fun but you need to make a decision regarding what you want: better, faster driver or just playing around as a sloppy driver. Either way it is fun! I vote kart!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
569 Posts
Here are two of my karts. As you can see, I like Birel karts!

I've also owned and raced a Margay w/ HPV 100 & Birel M32 w/ Rotax 125
(Not pictured)

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1350649521.518533.jpg
Birel RY30 w/ Rotax 125 Max
Mychron 4 w/GPS

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1350649587.819240.jpg
Birel RY30 w/ Rotax 125 Max
Mychron 4 w/GPS

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1350649624.818745.jpg
Birel CM32 w/ Mod CR125
Mychron 3 Gold

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1350649664.636972.jpg
Birel CM32 w/ Mod CR125
Mychron 3 Gold

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Karting is the ultimate thrill without spending F1 type money. I've owned and run 100cc HPV, 125cc Rotax and 125cc mod moto shifter karts. All are great! If you want to hone your driving skills stick with a 100 or 125 single speed until you master it! Going straight to a shifter will make you a bad driver and you will get frustrated quickly. Shifters allow you to cover up mistakes by downshifting. Single speeds will teach you momentum driving and will lead to the skills required to drive a shifter to its potential when you're ready to move up. After working my way up to a shifter, I eventually went back to a Rotax because I was getting sloppy! Lol
All are fun but you need to make a decision regarding what you want: better, faster driver or just playing around as a sloppy driver. Either way it is fun! I vote kart!

+1

I love the romance and speed of a shifter cart, but my single speed 100cc lets me concentrate on breaking points, turn in points. Ya know, all that stuff at leads to the correct apex and speed after the corner.

·
Registered
409 Posts
t955152, you better get the supercharger!, you have the best looking lotus in the bay area and when you told me it's totally stock on the inside i was like whaaaaaaaat?

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you don't plan tracking the Lotus, get the Kart.

I have a 2010 Exige, and a 2009 Tony Kart Ayrton Senna edition with a 125 Vortex TAG engine (36hp). Kart might have an edge on fun factor over the Lotus.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts