The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Popped the headlights out last night to clean some scratches and found the inside plastic housing is busted in two places. I'm afraid if I don't fix, I might lose my headlight at high speed.

Other than buying a replacement, any suggestions on how I could rebuild/replace/repair the plastic?

Light on the left is fine. The one on the right has the two busted bits of plastic (highlighted in yellow).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
you can cut a new hole into solid side and slide the nut/clip/thingy in from that side. It's not the greatest fix and takes a bit of tweaking but it works and cheaper than buying a new light.

Mine are now at the point that the next time they come out I really doubt they'll go back to I plan to epoxy a washer into the areas and hope it holds.

The secret is not to tighten them too much when you replace them.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
I would build it up with fiberglass and resin and drill the fiberglass for the mounting hardware. Note: some resins will cause the plastic to craze and crack. Perform a test on a non-structural area.

·
Registered
2011 Evora, Persian Blue, 6-speed
551 Posts
same as the above two posters but use aluminum flat bar. Hack saw it to length, bend it to the correct angles, bolt it to the intact plastic.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Not sure what kind of plastic it is, but possibly ABS.

You can by pieces of ABS plastic and some ABS cement from a home improvement store, and rebuild those areas. I recently had to do the same on the ABS radiator fan shroud on my Esprit. Worked great.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
same as the above two posters but use aluminum flat bar. Hack saw it to length, bend it to the correct angles, bolt it to the intact plastic.
I personally did this to a friend's car, but just used some stronger tin, and then formed it the rest of the way on a bench vice. We then pop riveted it into place, and slid the bolt clips onto the tin, and it worked like a champ. In fact it was far stronger than the OEM design. Took me about an hour to do one headlight, due to the ingenuity time to design it. Two headlights...I am guessing about an hour and a half.

Just so you know, these are broken ALL the time from the dealership/users over tightening the headlight buckets when the put them back on the car. It is "hard" to know WHEN to stop for to tight vs. to loose.

Hope that helps.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
I went through these same solutions and they all worked for a while. Eventually I just drilled a few holes and ran three screws in from the wheel well instead.

·
Registered
471 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts