The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I have tried:

a little bit of heat (afraid to use too much based on horror stories online)
fishing line (can't get beneath it at all)
fingernail polish remover (acetone, no effect after several "soakings")

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
@Smoky - A Google search reveals most of what you’ve tried. If you want to try heat, let the windshield heat up in the sun first. I seem to remember windshields can take about 120° F in temperature differential inside to outside. So don’t exceed that (minus a safety factor) if you heat the metal mount.

I’d try soaking a paper towel in MEK, then cover the mount and a little surrounding glass with the wet towel. Press some plastic wrap over all that to reduce evaporation and let it sit for at least an hour. You want it to still be wet when you come back to it. Cover your dash and interior parts where you might drip any liquid since MEK will definitely leave a mark or melt those materials. Once the MEK has had a chance to soak, try using a razor blade to gently pry the metal mount off the glass. Gently . . . because removing the mount usually entails breaking the glass.

Glen

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Smoky - A Google search reveals most of what you’ve tried. If you want to try heat, let the windshield heat up in the sun first. I seem to remember windshields can take about 120° F in temperature differential inside to outside. So don’t exceed that (minus a safety factor) if you heat the metal mount.

I’d try soaking a paper towel in MEK, then cover the mount and a little surrounding glass with the wet towel. Press some plastic wrap over all that to reduce evaporation and let it sit for at least an hour. You want it to still be wet when you come back to it. Cover your dash and interior parts where you might drip any liquid since MEK will definitely leave a mark or melt those materials. Once the MEK has had a chance to soak, try using a razor blade to gently pry the metal mount off the glass. Gently . . . because removing the mount usually entails breaking the glass.

Glen
This sounds promising! I will give it a try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts