The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok tomorrow Saturday I fly out to California to buy a 2007 Exige S and drive it back to Michigan. About a 2,400 mile trip. I am new retired so not in a hurry on drive back and more of a bucket list kind of trip. Likely ride up HWY 1 before drive home. It does happen to have all season ECSTA ASX tires on it now. (I plan change to R888 or RE71Rs once home)

Any suggestion on things I should have in the car for this long trip?

The factory recalls have been done on oil lines and ECU

Regards Alan

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
You can pretty much take the entire car apart with a 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, and 15mm socket set plus a few metric allens and a torx. I always bring a hands free cell phone holder for Waze (awesome app by the way) especially since so many states have different laws concerning cell phone use now. I don't think the '07 had TPMS but I'm not sure. If it doesn't have it, bring a tire pressure gauge and all the normal road trip stuff - check torques, fluid levels, make sure the undertray panels are secure, etc.

For what it's worth, I'm driving 1,000 miles this weekend, so that is what I'm doing haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
611 Posts
Suggestions on what to have in Exige on a 2,400 mile trip
Have an adventure!

Bring a camera, take pictures.

you had an elige before, right? so you know the quirkiness.

will you have a navigator to help plan hotel stops and sight seeing spots along the way?

also, maybe carry a quart of oil or some coolant? the best tool is a smartphone and charger.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Take a tire repair (plug) kit, fix a flat, and/or maybe a small inflator running off the 12v plug. Make sure it has a long enough cord to get from the plug between the seats to each tire. Remember, you won't have a spare tire.

If not a member of AAA or something like it, good to join. Not that the car isn't reliable, I drove my 07 Exige S on several 1000+ mile trips with no issues. It's just good to have a tow in case a tire is damaged beyond something that can be repaired roadside.

Too late for your trip, but a Lotus Ltd membership is good to have. It includes a comprehensive list of members across the country that can provide support ranging from repairs to putting you up overnight if there are problems.

If it's got a louder-than-stock exhaust, maybe ear plugs.

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
I have both AAA and Hagerty so there is little point in carrying stuff like coolant, oil or small tools. That stuff can be bought if it comes to that.

Stuff that you can't find fast on the road, like a spare serpentine belt, is another matter.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
A good pair of driving shoes, shorts for the hot states you'll have to traverse through, and some Advil.
I did about 1000 miles in 1.5 days a few years back; take the scenic routes since you're not in a hurry.

BTW, HWY 1 is fun mostly North of San Simeon.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
My car also came with the ASX tires and they were terrible in all conditions. If it's wet, be careful because the rear will get playful with just a little bit of throttle.

·
Registered
884 Posts
It has already been mentioned but I will second the ear plugs. I use Hearos musicians ear plugs in my Elise. They don't cut down the decibel level as much as standard foam plugs but they also cut down an even amount across the tonal range.

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
A good pair of driving shoes, shorts for the hot states you'll have to traverse through, and some Advil.
I did about 1000 miles in 1.5 days a few years back; take the scenic routes since you're not in a hurry.

BTW, HWY 1 is fun mostly North of San Simeon.

Have fun!
Yup. Drove from SLO to Pacific Grove in our TR4 in 2009. Love to get back there in the Lotus.

IMG_2308 TR44SUE at the Big Creek bridge overlook by philethier, on Flickr

·
craigyirush
1,532 Posts
Isn't there a problem with the cigarette lighter/charging socket between the seats needing an adapter b/c its Euro size? I couldn't charge my phone on my last long trip which was a pain b/c I was using navigation and it really draws the battery down.

Have fun on the trip! Have you picked out any cool roads apart from CA 1? If you want to head east from Monterey, the Carmel Valley road is fun, though very narrow at times. Also heard good things about CA 198 from the 101 to I5.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Yup. Drove from SLO to Pacific Grove in our TR4 in 2009. Love to get back there in the Lotus.
Agree, the view around Big Sur is incredible, as long as you can avoid being in a procession of cars going 30 MPH astern a land yacht.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Isn't there a problem with the cigarette lighter/charging socket between the seats needing an adapter b/c its Euro size? I couldn't charge my phone on my last long trip which was a pain b/c I was using navigation and it really draws the battery down.

Have fun on the trip! Have you picked out any cool roads apart from CA 1? If you want to head east from Monterey, the Carmel Valley road is fun, though very narrow at times. Also heard good things about CA 198 from the 101 to I5.
Thanks all for great suggestions, can anyone confirm if the cigarette lighter/changer is a standard USA? I had a very modified 2005 Elise but never used the power socket. I will need this to power iPhone.

I plan to buy a air pump charger and can of fix a flat in Calfornia as I will just carry on for flight.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Bring a camera and enjoy your drive! These cars and reliable for the most part and can make that journey easily. Your back may hurt after a while though :p

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My car also came with the ASX tires and they were terrible in all conditions. If it's wet, be careful because the rear will get playful with just a little bit of throttle.
Little nervous on this now. If I had some new RE71Rs put on in California would it be be better or same/worse?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Little nervous on this now. If I had some new RE71Rs put on in California would it be be better or same/worse?
My main gripe with them was wet weather performance, in the dry of course they didn't have very high limits, but were communicative enough.

It really depends on how you plan to drive the car on the way home. If you're just going to take it easy and enjoy the sights, they will be perfectly fine. If you plan to play a little bit on the way back, you may want to consider putting some summer tires on there. The car is still very controllable in the wet, but just keep in mind that it will break loose much sooner than you would expect.

I drove 500 miles on them in (dry) sub-freezing weather and they were happy eating up the miles.

·
Super Moderator
6,732 Posts
Take a tire repair (plug) kit, fix a flat, and/or maybe a small inflator running off the 12v plug. Make sure it has a long enough cord to get from the plug between the seats to each tire. Remember, you won't have a spare tire.
^ This. Good for long trips seeing how there is no spare. Don't want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere. I have free towing with my insurance so it's not TOO much of a big deal, but it's good to have. AAA or something similar is a good idea.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I second the tire pump and fix a flat.

The jack for the tire pump is a standard USA style jack located between the two seats.

Narrow running shoes are a big help. The pedals are quite close together. I found it difficult to drive with the normal running shoes I had when I bought my car. I have a pair of narrow Puma shoes and they are perfect.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Good Flashlight and a IPod with aux plug in for music if desired.

·
He's on fire!
3,081 Posts
if not changed, the 12v adapter is not USA standard. Things still fit in there but very loosely. Unless recently changed, consider getting a new battery for a trip like that. Bought mine in Las Cruces and drove back home, thankfully battery died before we got into the mountains rather than out in the middle of nowhere.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts