The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there's a car in California that I am seriously considering. I currently live 1,600 miles away, and according to map-quest, the drive is over 24 hours.

I'll be driving across Arizona and New Mexico, and I expect a lot of company with large semi trucks spittin' rocks at me every which way.

How do I protect the front clam from hard impacts of road debris? Would it be a good idea to buy those black heavy duty lawn/trash bags, cut it to fit, then tape it to the front clam? What kind of adhesive tape can be used, but not damage the paint upon removal of tape, factoring in the heat from the pounding sun + the car itself.

According to the seller and the low miles (under 3000 miles), the front clam is immaculate. It would kill me to reach my destination in Arkansas, then see the front clam potentially all nastied up. Any thoughts would be helpful. :)

·
Registered
2,875 Posts

Starshield does a good job if your car has it. But to be safe you can use blue tape.

Don't forget the rocker panels too

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
works for cows. ( besides ardent red, also available in chrome orange )

Attachments

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
So there's a car in California that I am seriously considering. I currently live 1,600 miles away, and according to map-quest, the drive is over 24 hours.

I'll be driving across Arizona and New Mexico, and I expect a lot of company with large semi trucks spittin' rocks at me every which way.

How do I protect the front clam from hard impacts of road debris? Would it be a good idea to buy those black heavy duty lawn/trash bags, cut it to fit, then tape it to the front clam? What kind of adhesive tape can be used, but not damage the paint upon removal of tape, factoring in the heat from the pounding sun + the car itself.

According to the seller and the low miles (under 3000 miles), the front clam is immaculate. It would kill me to reach my destination in Arkansas, then see the front clam potentially all nastied up. Any thoughts would be helpful. :)
Does the car not have StarShield? If it doesn't, unless the front end has been repainted it would be remarkable indeed if it is unmarked after 3000 miles.

If it does, no worries, drive it home. Replace the Starshield at some point in the future.

If it doesn't, I think I'd look into getting it installed where the seller is, you're going to want it anyway unless your car is going to be a garage queen. Then drive it home.

Personally, I'd rather drive it home and risk some pitted paint than drive down the highway with trashbags taped to the front of my car.

If you drive it at all, your car is going to get marked up no matter what you do.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Don't stay behind trucks and just second cam it if you see one. Problem solved! A stage 2 and cold air will help you hear when thats happeneing or sc will help you actually get around the trucks with the stones.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You might as well get used to it. Avoiding rock chips is hard to do in a car that's 45 inches high. Driving down the highway with blue tape like you just got off the track may get you some unwanted attention -- especially from vehicles with lightbars on top.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like I'm being a bit over concerned? I remember taking a road trip from Atlanta to Houston when I first bought my 3-series coupe, and the front bumper chips were horrific. Maybe I wasn't being keen or aware of my driving conditions at the time and I exposed the car to preventable damage.

I guess consciously zipping past all semi trucks with fury should minimize things.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just plan on painting my car every 5 years.
I'm with you, Chris. Drive it and enjoy it. It's just too much fun to worry about trying to avoid all the little rocks that will come your way. Just plan to repaint sometime in the future.

Steve

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I just plan on painting my car every 5 years.
I'm with you, Chris. Drive it and enjoy it. It's just too much fun to worry about trying to avoid all the little rocks that will come your way. Just plan to repaint sometime in the future.

Steve
Not me. My car will just gradually go from its current all over Storm Titanium color to an eventual fade from white in the front to StTi in the rear. Then at some point I expect the entire car to be Aspen White.

They are all Aspen White underneath ;).

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Sounds like I'm being a bit over concerned? I remember taking a road trip from Atlanta to Houston when I first bought my 3-series coupe, and the front bumper chips were horrific. Maybe I wasn't being keen or aware of my driving conditions at the time and I exposed the car to preventable damage.

I guess consciously zipping past all semi trucks with fury should minimize things.
If you've got StarShield, it does a great job on the front clam. I've got more nicks in the StarShield on the lower rocker panel under the doors than anywhere else... the sticky A048's pick up road debris like magnets.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
just ship it. it'll cost you, but at least you'll have the peace of mind knowing that the front clam won't get nicked up.

if you drive the car and something happens, you'll wish you had just shipped it.
NO!:no: If you ship it you'll aways miss not having driven it! But you won't regret driving the greatest drivers car available today!!

I speak from experience - I didn't have the time to drive mine across country :(

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
NO!:no: If you ship it you'll aways miss not having driven it! But you won't regret driving the greatest drivers car available today!!

I speak from experience - I didn't have the time to drive mine across country :(
+1

I recently drove the car to Utah, did a track day (not to mention 14 miles up and down a twisty canyon three times a day for a month while there) and drove back. NO paint protection. Sure, the rockers were blasted nearly paint free...so I scooted over to Sticker City a couple days ago and bought some side sill protectors...rotfl That fixed that. Front clam held up remarkably well through all of this. In any event, drive it...love it...paint it.

With starshield, you shouldn't have a problem, save an odd hit from some type of projectile.

·
Registered
220 Posts
A different idea.

Rice,

Most people just run down the Interstate, dodging trucks and miss all the good stuff. What you really want to do is plot a route down all the back country roads from California to Arkansas. There will be no traffic, no flying rocks and much better scenery. There will also be very few bears, so as long as you bring your Valentine1, you will be able to run 80 to 100 (except in deer country). You can do Route 66, (maybe the Grand Canyon), Monument Valley, Four Corners, Roswell, (maybe Carlsbad Caverns) and the fabulous Skyline drive from Oklahoma into Arkansas.

That's the way to enjoy a Lotus!

Paul

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Paint protection film, vinyl, blue or green tape, or premask. If you hit rain the tape or premask will release it's adhesive and some will blow off, some will flap around beating dirt trapped to the sticky side against your paint.

Paint chips are just beauty marks. Drive the car, you are going to get some eventually. paint protection film helps to an awesome degree, but drive it enough and it will see some chips from the big stuff too. But that's what its made for. Easier to replace a piece of film than to paint a car.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Premask? Is that the stuff that looks like 3-mil, light adhesive backed, saran wrap?

·
Registered
446 Posts
How do I protect the front clam from hard impacts of road debris? Would it be a good idea to buy those black heavy duty lawn/trash bags, cut it to fit, then tape it to the front clam?
I did a road trip from the East Coast to Indianapolis and back last year and I also wanted a little extra protection for the front end and rockers even though I have Starshield on my car. What I used was a 12" x 120" roll of clear contact paper - the kind of stuff you put on the bottom of your kitchen drawers. You just roll the stuff on in one long sheet then trim off the excess with a pair of scissors. Takes about 20 minutes to put on and 2 minutes to take it off.

Here is one that should work: Con-Tact® Clear Covering Paper 18" x 3 yds : S&S Worldwide Costs less than four bucks.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Ship it, unless you have planned the trip specifically to hit interesting roads all the way back. Otherwise you already live in Arkansas and probably have interesting roads there already.

Despite several members' admirable cross country runs, the 111 is not a Grand Tourer. Straight, flat roads will also be B-O-R-I-N-G :D

Otherwise, break out the AutoX/trackday (painters) tape. LOL!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The blue tape stuff works good. Just don’t drive behind something to close. It’s not just the paint but also the windshield and the head light covers. You will pit the sh!# out of those too, if you linger to long or to close behind cars and especially the big trucks. If the car has Starshield you should be fine, but if you want to be extra sure use the tape.

Have a fun drive.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts