The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hopelessly obsessed with cars, as are most of you here. I think I could live with an Elise/Exige as my only car. However, I start my new job in a couple of months and I'm concerned about the fact that I will be wearing a suit to work a lot. Is it possible to get in an out of one of these cars in a suit without ruining it every day?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am hopelessly obsessed with cars, as are most of you here. I think I could live with an Elise/Exige as my only car. However, I start my new job in a couple of months and I'm concerned about the fact that I will be wearing a suit to work a lot. Is it possible to get in an out of one of these cars in a suit without ruining it every day?
Just don't get your pants pocket caught on the door post or else you will hear a big rip

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've also found that most normal dress shoes don't really work with the pedals (too wide). Now I always carry a pair of thin sneakers for the drive and switch before I get out of the car.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
It is fine. Just put the coat on the passenger seat. Dress shoes work really well for me except for those with the soles that stick out around the edge. Even those I have adapted myself to driving with (I tilt my foot). 11 EEE

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
search many of the dozens of " daily drive* " threads out there.

you will not enjoy sweating through your dress shirt. you live in a semi-desert area, you'll be commuting in an oven... sounds perfect to me.

add you location to you user info.

but i guess if your obsessed about getting one, then you'll learn firsthand, and then inquire about why the a/c sucks so bad.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I've also found that most normal dress shoes don't really work with the pedals (too wide). Now I always carry a pair of thin sneakers for the drive and switch before I get out of the car.
Yeah that sucks. I bought a new pair of dress shoes and make it two blocks before I had to turn around and go get my old ones back.

·
Registered
229 Posts
SUITS AND ELISE

I wear suits everyday, and I have had no problem. However, I do wear small sized shoes: 6 1/2.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bad A/C could be an issue... I live in Lubbock, TX right now but I'm moving to Dallas in a month...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I guess it's all what you are ued to...

I have size 9 EEEE width feet and have no problem with any pair of shoes on my cars... :shrug:

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I can't wear a normal pair of shoes without hitting two pedals at once...unless i concentrate on it more than i should have to.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I guess it's all what you are ued to...

I have size 9 EEEE width feet and have no problem with any pair of shoes on my cars... :shrug:
Can you put your left foot on the dead pedal without hitting the clutch? That is my only issue.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I wear a size 10.5 Ecco dress shoes to work in my Elise every work day and have been daily driving my car for nearly a year, no problems. I even heel-toe in these shoes around street corners. The shoes are starting to show some wear but I've had these shoes for over 2 years now, so I can't say that driving the Elise was the reason they're showing wear.

My dress shirts do get a bit wrinkled by the time I get out of the car but nothing I can do about that. I don't wear a blazer and have no idea how to hang one from the passenger seat... I guess you put it on the seat with the front of the coat facing backwards?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts

Depends on the shoes. I tend to wear Eccos the most often, and I have no problem heal-toeing whatsoever.

·
Registered
807 Posts
more than worrying about the suit or shoes, make sure you perfect the entry/exit routine. it's not as bad if you stumble out in shorts but if you're looking "suave and deboner" and fall out of the car like chevy chase, it's just simply undignified ;)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Can you put your left foot on the dead pedal without hitting the clutch? That is my only issue.
I find that it is nearly impossible for me to do that, and I wear 10.5 EE. But even in sneakers I have to sort of hold my foot at an angle, so as not to engage the clutch.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Yep! You'll be fine!

Get the Lotus! :clap:

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Yes.

Test drive the car first!

If you love it you will have to have it. :D

If you have any doubts after the test drive....get a Porsche/BMW/S2000/EVO/whatever.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Just don't get your pants pocket caught on the door post or else you will hear a big rip
Yep! That happened with me and one of my suits. I have to be careful of the door latch strike post. I have also caught belt loops on 2 or 3 pairs of jeans. I am a little bigger though and fill up the door way when getting in/out. I also have the seat all the way back which puts me in closer proximity to the strike post when getting in/out.

As for shoes, I find my dress shoes typically work better as they are narrower than my casual shoes. Driving with athletic shoes doesn't work at all for me. My purpose built driving shoes (Piloti and Merrell Throttle Mocs) work the best though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts