The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moto44 and I have had some preliminary discussions about an event this summer in the Minocqua/Eagle River/Rhinelander area in northern Wisconsin. In addition to touring on some great Lotus roads, I have been thinking of some other ideas including guided fishing, canoing, rafting, ATVing, etc. An opportunity has just presented to do an SCCA sanctioned rally (gimmick or TSD) in conjunction with this. We have not finalized a date. I thought I would post this to gauge interest and look for other suggestions...DAve

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Moto44 and I have had some preliminary discussions about an event this summer in the Minocqua/Eagle River/Rhinelander area in northern Wisconsin. In addition to touring on some great Lotus roads, I have been thinking of some other ideas including guided fishing, canoing, rafting, ATVing, etc. An opportunity has just presented to do an SCCA sanctioned rally (gimmick or TSD) in conjunction with this. We have not finalized a date. I thought I would post this to gauge interest and look for other suggestions...DAve
i would be interested in this if other cars can drive on these "Lotus roads" you refer to.
im not real interested in other activities though.
what might an SCCA sanctioned rally entail?

thanks

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'd be interested in TSD...pass on Gimmick.
john m.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would be open to Lotus ENTHUSIASTS, not restricted to vehicle type...run what ya brung!! There are four types of SCCA road rallies, the types currently being considered are TSD (time, speed, distance) where a navigator is required to follow printed driving instructions and continuosly calculate the vehicles average speed. An average speed (or series of average speed for given segments) is given and random surprise check points measure the driver/navigators accuracy in maintaining a given average speed. A gimmick rally gives a sheet of driving instructions and requires the driver/navigator to answer questions about objects (signs,etc.) found along the route. Both types are run at legal speeds on public roads (as opposed to performance rallies which are speed contests on closed sections of road..like FIA World Rally.)...DAve

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,778 Posts
looks like I need to show my dad this thread because it sounds like fun to me!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We're tentatively looking at July 18th or 25th. Last poster, if your dad is still having trouble with his alarm fob or alarm, PM me as I have reprogrammed my alarm to manual arming only and have reprogrammed fobs. When he gets his PIN (call Fox Valley in Chicago, they are very helpful) he can run up here, I'm in Minocqua...Dave

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Let me think about this.....I don't have a navigator though.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I like it up there and welcome another excuse to visit. Not sure about the rally ideas, don't sound like my cup o tea, but plenty else to do up there. I heard there's a secret Muskie lake somewhere ...

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,778 Posts
We're tentatively looking at July 18th or 25th. Last poster, if your dad is still having trouble with his alarm fob or alarm, PM me as I have reprogrammed my alarm to manual arming only and have reprogrammed fobs. When he gets his PIN (call Fox Valley in Chicago, they are very helpful) he can run up here, I'm in Minocqua...Dave
Thanks, He called last night, and he said he got the pin from the original dealer in Washington, so now he is probably going to wait for me to go back home to reprogram them. If I can't get them working, I might take you up on that!

I just hope that my parents aren't going up to Canada on either of those weekends!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Let me think about this.....I don't have a navigator though.
I'm the NAV for a DIE HARD Porsche guy. If you Run PCA rally's, you know him...perhaps even me..I..me...either of us. And he won't run Lotus, so I would be in need of a driver.

john m /ML1

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I don't know anything about rallies, so I just look at it as an opportunity to drive some awesome roads with a bunch of other fun people and cars.

I've done poker runs on the snowmobiles. I suppose that would be similar to a gimmick rally. Good fun!

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Count the Old Man in... FWIW, the last two weekends in June are out for me. I'd kind of like to go to R.A. on July 18th for the Brian Redman challenge, but I might be talked out of it that if this happens.

We were just talking about organizing something like this. Discussing how to open the event to other interesting cars and drivers without turning it into a boy-racer affair.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Count the Old Man in... FWIW, the last two weekends in June are out for me. I'd kind of like to go to R.A. on July 18th for the Brian Redman challenge, but I might be talked out of it that if this happens.
Excellent! I suppose we can count that as one vote for the July 25th date.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I'm the NAV for a DIE HARD Porsche guy. If you Run PCA rally's, you know him...perhaps even me..I..me...either of us. And he won't run Lotus, so I would be in need of a driver.
I'm not in the PCA, so I know no one....but willing to give it a shot. I've been on a zillion rallies in the back seat of a 356 with my mother and dad from when I was about 7-10. I still have my dad's rally ruler and book of Floyd's Factors.....a little antiquated I would guess now though.

18th or 25th are OK.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
My would-be navigator (Marguerite) is unavailable on the 25th, but is available the weekend before. Of course, I'm in regardless.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Excellent! I suppose we can count that as one vote for the July 25th date.
July 25th is great for me. Let's see what works for the others...

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Thanks to the musky fishing reference in this thread, the banner ad above for me right now reads: "You could win an adventure in Ontario with Babe Winkelman". rotfl

I wouldn't expect many folks here to know who Babe is, but through my fishing connections, I have been a guest at Babe's home in Minnesota. Does that count as a brush with fame?

1 - 20 of 155 Posts