The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

Thank you for all the help I got from this site. I have finally purchased a 1967 Sunbeam Tiger Mkll. Although I didn't buy it from somebody in this group, the leads and the names of the people that I should get in touch with all helped in locating a Tiger ll. It has been a journey. With just 534 made and maybe 250 surviving, (a lot of them undrivable) there are many fakes out there. Most of them Alpines converted to a Tiger. The one I found is in San Francisco and will get Tac'd (authenticated) while it is still down there before making it's trip up north.

Thank you again

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
cool ! glad it all worked out for you!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Nice! They featured the Tiger on an episode of 101 Cars You Must Drive. Terrible show, but some interesting car facts and trivia.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I see you edited out the 350 and replaced it with 550. I was going to post back earlier and comment but I see the number has been corrected. 534 was the total production number for MkIIs

Looks like a nice car. How much of it is unrestored?

From an investment standpoint; the MkII is definately the Tiger to have. But I am still partial to the stainless strip and peaked headlights of the MkIs and MkIas.

Black Hardtop, must have been a dealer installed option.

Congratulations. I'm still in the hunt for my next one.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hayseed

Thanks. That was a typo that I corrected. I have seen 534 and 537 567 made so I called it 550. Somewhere in there is the correct total. There are aspects of the 3 Tiger models I like but as you said, from an investment point of view... I almost got one last spring but missed out on it, the original owner of a Mkll had the dealer install the stainless molding like an Mk1a and no stripe.
The car is original but was resprayed about 5 or 6 years ago. a lot of the interior was redone including dash and seats. It now has a wool carpet too. The hardtop is factory and the soft top is original, The suspension has been completely redone also. While it is in California, I'm going to get the stripe put on and the car Tac'd. Also some visors that are missing. I'm also going to get some original hose clamps put on. It is going to the Sunbeam Depot there and anything else that needs to be done will be taken care of.

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
The engine compartment looks like a time capsule; original oil filter system, fan shroud, air filter, alternator and bracket, washer bottle.....

Great find!

Have fun.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Very cool, congrats. I think I'm buying a Tiger this weekend, Don't want to jinx it with any details but I'll post some more when the deal is done.

I'd love to know what you paid for the Mk2. Please send me a pmail.

Steve

·
Registered
670 Posts
I went through with my purchase of a Mk1 Tiger Sunday. A couple pics....

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats on the purchase. It looks great. Try to keep the speeding tickets to under 1 per year. Enjoy your new ride.

Paul

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
damn, those look nice.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Make sure you join a Sunbeam Club... Did you have the car TAC'd?

I'm a charter member (#11) of Tigers East Alpine East (TEAE.org)

Best of luck... Tigers are a blast to drive...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Make sure you join a Sunbeam Club... Did you have the car TAC'd?

I'm a charter member (#11) of Tigers East Alpine East (TEAE.org)

Best of luck... Tigers are a blast to drive...
It will get TAC'd at the first opportunity which should be pretty easy in SoCal. Perhaps you could help me with something ? Mine is an LRO Tiger. Norm told me Jim Olmstead of TEAE owns one also and wrote up 2 or 3 articles in your back newsletters(2006 ?). I'd love to see them but was surprised when I went to the TEAE site for help and was just told to pay $29, then I could view a member list. Can you help me contact Olmstead ?

Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts