The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find out more info about the "Super Lap Battle" time trial that was supposed to take place at Mid Ohio on 6/23-6/24, but now I don't see any place on the web to actually register for it.

I know they had an event at Long Beach a few weeks ago but now they seem to have fallen off the face of the earth. Anyone have the 411?

Comments about the rampant jackassery that occurs at these kinds of "Time Attack" events (e.g. Redline Time Attack), while not helpful whatsoever, are still welcome if they are funny. :)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
im interested to know as well.

But 6-23-24 is a monday and tuesday. Kind of an odd schedule for this type of event.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops.

im interested to know as well.

But 6-23-24 is a monday and tuesday. Kind of an odd schedule for this type of event.
It is on my schedule for Saturday and Sunday the 21-22, my bad. I don't know exactly where I saw that date though, but somehow it made it to my calendar.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
search super street magazine's website... there is a contact on there for the person in charge of there time attack events.. its usually an event where they invite you to participate
I must be blind because I didn't see that anywhere on their site (and yes Ace10, I searched for it)

So you are saying it is invite only like Le Mans then? Perfect. I'm still waiting for my letter from the ACO this year, but it hasn't arrived yet. Must be in the mail. My ACO membership renewal notice always arrives on time though?!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps they cancelled it when Champ Car cancelled the Cleveland Grand Prix? I see from their flier above that this event was supposed to be in conjunction with Formula D, but Formula D is not going to Mid Ohio this year (they will be in Englishtown, NJ the preceding week).

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
well im sad.

I know when Modified MAG had there time attack series Redline timeattack. You didnt need to be invited for that.

But i agree emailing SS would probably be the way to find out the details.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know when Modified MAG had there time attack series Redline timeattack. You didnt need to be invited for that.
Super Lap Battle is not the same event as Redline Time Attack. Anyone with a pulse and a helmet can participate in the Redline events, :cool: and they are going on strong AFAIK. Redline: Time Attack!! I plan to go to their August/Summit Point and perhaps October/VIR dates this year.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Chris and Nik from Redline are great people. They run a well organized TA event. I try to attend all of their TA events in the west coast each year.
Manly, I agree the organizers are nice guys and the coordination of the Redline events is well done. :up: However, what they can't control is the aforementioned jackassery that always seems to occur on track because of the type of crowd these events sometimes attract (at least out here on the East Coast). I'm talking about guys in their early 20s who feel compelled to drive far beyond their abilities and then top off their mad skillz by, for example, passing without point bys in the middle of corners (outside of the clearly marked and announced passing zones set by Redline - I've witnessed this exact thing). Other time trials I participate in out here, like EMRA, just don't get that kind of crowd. I'm not even criticizing anyone for attracting this crowd, since what are they going to do, set an age limit? I'm sure there are many teenage drivers out there with years of karting under their belt who could blow my doors off.

I guess it is not much different to shake our collective heads when a guy in a tuned-to-the-max S240 drives like a clueless asshat as when a complete track novice shows up in a F430 Scuderia and becomes a rolling chicane. :sheep: That said, I still like to go to these events, but keep clear of anyone who I think is testing Darwin's Theory.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The redline event i went [email protected] last year. I was the only NOVICE there. Everybody else seemed to be pro racecar drivers. I know for a fact Bushcur racing flew in a driver from california to race there Prepped EVO.

Just telling my expierence, not down playing yours.

Do you have any more info on EMRA events. ?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I'm with Manly on this one. Redline runs a good event out here. Hoping my car will be ready for the superlap battle at Buttonwillow though.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Just noticed that a picture of Manly's yellow Elise was in the December 2008 Sport Compact Car (page 86) for having participated in the Super Lap Battle at Willow Springs. :up: I also just noticed that they revised thier schedule of events sometime this summer and added an event at Pocono Raceway in Long Pond, PA - would have been fun to do that. Oh well. Anyway, good luck at the Buttonwillow finals tomorrow Manly... be sure to let us know how you do. That APR aero on your car now is crazy - but I love it.

Next year I think the SLB organizers need to work on improving the distribution of information about these events. For example, 1) the "real" schedule was impossible to figure out in advance (see my posts above about the Mid Ohio event that didn't happen, 2) if you wanted to participate there was no information about how to do that, and 3) the season results aren't posted anywhere. The main website for this Super Lap Battle has no information about the series other than the dates, which they changed on the website apparently after the fact :confused:

·
Registered
3,520 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Just noticed that a picture of Manly's yellow Elise was in the December 2008 Sport Compact Car (page 86) for having participated in the Super Lap Battle at Willow Springs. :up: I also just noticed that they revised thier schedule of events sometime this summer and added an event at Pocono Raceway in Long Pond, PA - would have been fun to do that. Oh well. Anyway, good luck at the Buttonwillow finals tomorrow Manly... be sure to let us know how you do. That APR aero on your car now is crazy - but I love it.
Hey Scott,
thanks. I didn't do that great compare to the competition. Matt Andrews ran 1:57.7 in the supra for 1st place. Rob Walker aka maxrev drove a stock power S2000 to 2nd with 1:58.3. I only manage a 1:58.7 for 3rd. But I was still pretty stoked because it was the fastest i ever done on that track with 200 treadwear street summer tires. The APR aero contributed to my laptime improvement tremendously, even on my stock power NA Elise. I improved ~3 sec on less stickier tires. Review on the Aero to come shortly. Here is a video of my 3rd place lap. Again congrats to Matt and Rob for thier great drive!!

2008 Superlap Battle Finale Street RWD 3rd place

2008 Superlap Battle Finale
2008/11/12
Buttonwillow #13
Street RWD 3rd place
Laptime: 1:58.752

APR Performance Aero
GTC200 Wing, Canards, Splitter

Dunlop Tires
Direzza Z1 Star Spec
195/55/15 225/50/16​

1 - 20 of 20 Posts