The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I currently run a 05 Elise and it is NA. I want to get some sort of forced induction. What is your opinion on superchargers and turbochargers for the track. I run ST in NASA and STU/L in SCCA. What is your opinion on the cost of each set up as well? Is one set up more reliable and practical? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow not a lot of heals here. I prefer turbo as they are less prone to heat soak and it’s easier to adjust boost on the fly.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Turbo is going to be more custom than a supercharger setup which will probably be more expensive depending on how much power you want to make. Numerous vendors make SC kits for the Elise/Exige that a mechanically handy person can DIY install. I dont know of any turbo kits out there that are complete installs like that. Everyone I've heard of going turbo ends up making their own. The big thing is ECU support. You'll need an aftermarket ecu. I think the bigger power gains come from a turbo setup but then you're looking at beefing up engine internals and the price will get substantially higher at that point. If you're worried about heat soak, consider an air to water intercooler. I guess you just need to figure out what your end state is. (Relative) Ease of install and support I'd go SC...BOE can get you 300-400hp if I'm not mistaken with their kits which is plenty for most people. If you want a HP monster I'd probably go turbo.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Before putting a lot of money into the 2ZZ to increase the power, you may consider swapping the engine for a more reliable engine. Over 260 hp, for race track, the engine will need many improvements, and will stay fragile.

This being said, for me, turbo setup is more expensive and gives more torque for the same power lever, but care is welcome to improve the power control on curve. On my turbo setup, I am using a progressive throttle body command and a traction control, the engine is too agressive. Supercharge is cool, easy to tune, with many kits ready to install. But the torque curve is flat for less torque at mid rpm, curve exit will be slower but simpler than with a turbo setup. With a supercharged, a close ratio gearbox is welcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts